Maternal, Infant and Early Childhood Home Visiting Initiative
New York State (NYS) is working to improve the health and well-being of at-risk children and families through its new Maternal, Infant and Early Childhood Home Visiting (MIECHV) Initiative. The MIECHV initiative uses evidence-based home visiting programs (programs proven to be effective) to help improve outcomes for mothers and babies. The goals of the initiative are to:
- Improve birth outcomes for high-risk pregnant women and their babies.
- Improve children's health and development
- Strengthen family functioning
NYS conducted a Home Visiting Needs Assessment which looked at a range of risk indicators and existing home visiting services. The needs assessment resulted in the identification of fourteen high-risk counties. Based on these findings, NYS developed the New York State Plan for a State Home Visiting Program which identified three at-risk communities to be targeted and two evidence-based home visiting models to be implemented:
- Nurse Family Partnership (NFP) programs in Monroe, Bronx, Kings, Onondaga and Nassau counties, and
- Healthy Families New York (HFNY) programs in Erie, Bronx and Kings counties.
Click here for MIECHV Program Contacts by County.
Through periodic home visits, the home visitors assess pregnant women's and families' health and social support needs; provide information to promote positive birth outcomes; and make referrals to needed services. The MIECHV home visiting programs will work to improve outcomes for families in the following areas:
- Improved maternal and newborn health;
- Prevention of child abuse, neglect or maltreatment;
- Improved school readiness and achievement;
- Reduction in domestic violence;
- Improved family economic self-sufficiency; and
- Improved coordination and referrals for needed community resources and supports.
The NYS MIECHV Program was developed with extensive input and collaboration from more than 100 home visiting stakeholders and a core group of state agency partners including:
- NYS Office of Children and Family Services: www.ocfs.state.ny.us
- NYS Council on Children and Families: www.ccf.state.ny.us
- NYS Office of Mental Health: www.omh.state.ny.us
- NYS Office for the Prevention of Domestic Violence: www.opdv.state.ny.us
- NYS Education Department: www.nysed.gov
- NYS Office for Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services: www.oasas.ny.gov
NYS MIECHV Resources
- Evidence-Based Programs: http://homvee.acf.hhs.gov/
- New York State Statewide Needs Assessment: /community/infants_children/maternal_infant_early_child_home_visit/docs/miechv_updated_state_plan_2.pdf (PDF, 1.8MB, 137pgs.)
- New York State Updated Plan for A State Home Visiting Program: /community/infants_children/maternal_infant_early_child_home_visit/docs/miechv_updated_state_plan_2.pdf (PDF, 2.03MB, 120pgs.)
- Nurse Family Partnership: http://www.nursefamilypartnership.org
- Healthy Families New York: http://www.healthyfamiliesnewyork.org