HIV/AIDS Awareness Days
December 1st - World AIDS Day
An estimated 1.1 million Americans are living with HIV, and yet one out of five don't know it. World AIDS Day is an opportunity for us to take action!
Join the New York State Department of Health AIDS Institute in celebrating World AIDS Day and promoting a healthy lifestyle.
- Information and Resources on World AIDS Day
- Posters, Fact Sheets and provider locator
- Blogs on www.aids.gov
Other Awareness Days
September 18th - National HIV/AIDS and Aging Awareness Day (NHAAAD)
The AIDS Institute* launched National HIV/AIDS and Aging Awareness Day on September 18, 2008. NHAAAD is observed annually on or around September 18th. The campaigned is recognized by the U.S. Deparmtent of Health and Human Services, Office of HIV/AIDS Policy, and www.aids.gov.
- NHAAAD Community Invite Letter
- NHAAAD Community Planning Guide
- NHAAAD 2011 Brochure
- NHAAAD 2011 Fact Sheet
- AIDS Community Research Initiative of America (ACRIA) Center on HIV & Aging
- Services and Advocacy for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Elders (SAGE)
*Please Note: This is not referring to the New York State Department of Health's AIDS Institute
September 27th - National Gay Men's HIV/AIDS Awareness Day
The National Association of People with AIDS (NAPWA) founded this day, which began in 2008, to raise gay men's awareness of the HIV epidemic and the role they can play in bringing it to an end.
- Blog by Stephen Bailous, VP for Community Affairs, NAPWA
- Blog by Kevin A. Fenton, MD, PhD, FFPH - Director, CDC's National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention
- CDC study of HIV prevalence among gay and bisexual men
October 15th - National Latino AIDS Awareness Day (NLAAD)
The theme for this year is Latinos Unite! Let's Stay Healthy! Get Tested for HIV! The NLAAD campaign works anuually at building capacity for non-profit organizations and health departments in order to reach out to Latino/Hispanic communities, promote HIV testing, provide HIV prevention information and access to care.
- The Latino Commission on AIDS (LCOA)
- Fact Sheet from the CDC - HIV among Hispanics/Latinos
- Blogs on AIDS.gov - Recap of National Latino AIDS Awareness Day 2010
- NLAAD Posters, PSAs and Logos
December 1st - World AIDS Day
An estimated 1.1 million Americans are living with HIV, and yet one out of five don't know it. World AIDS Day is an opportunity for us to take action! Join the New York State Department of Health AIDS Institute in celebrating World AIDS Day.
February 7th - National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day (NBHAAD)
The Strategic Leadership Council directs, plans, and organizes NBHAAD with support from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The 2012 theme is "I am My Brother's/Sister's Keeper: Fight HIV/AIDS!"
March 10th - National Women and Girls HIV/AIDS Awareness Day (NWGHAAD)
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Service Office on Women's Health is the lead for this day. The 2012 theme is "Every Moment is a Deciding Moment". President Obama has established a Working Group on the Intersection of HIV/AIDS, Violence Against Women and Girls, and Gender-related Health Disparities.
- CDC Information about NWGHAAD
- Find resources, posters, fact sheets andmore information on NWGHAAD
- White House Blog - What Can You Do? Take Action!
- Find Events
March 20th - National Native HIV/AIDS Awareness Day
National Native HIV/AIDS Awareness Day is a collaborative effort between the organizations listed below. Please see their website for NNAAD information and events.
- Asian Pacific Islander Wellness Center
- CA7AE: HIV Prevention Project
- NNAAD Events Map
- Great Plains Tribal Chairmen's Health Board
- Inter Tribal Council of Arizona, Inc.
- National Native American AIDS Prevention Center
May 18th - HIV Vaccine Awareness Day
This day is to recognize and thank the thousands of volunteers, community members, health professionals, and scientists who are working together to find a safe and effective HIV vaccine. This observance is also a day to educate our communitites about the importance of preventive HIV vaccine research.
- National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)
- Be the Generation to Find a Vaccine to Prevent HIV
May 19th - National Asian & Pacific Islander HIV/AIDS Awareness Day
- The Banyan Tree Project - a national campagin to end the silence and shame surrounding HIV/AIDS in Asian and Pacific Islander communities.
- Resources from AIDS.gov and The CDC
June 8th - National Caribbean-American HIV/AIDS Awareness Day
- The National Planning Committee
- Local Event listings
June 27th - National HIV Testing Day (NHTD)
NHTD is an annual observance to promote HIV testing. The National Association of People with AIDS (NAPWA) founded the day in 1995. The 2011 NHTD fell between two major anniversaries:
- June 5, 2011 - 30 years since the CDC's MMWR reported the first cases of AIDS; and,
- July 13, 2011 - the one year anniversary of the release of the National HIV/AIDS Strategy.
The annual theme is "Take the Test. Take Control."