Seasonal Influenza (Flu)
Update on 2013-2014 Flu Season
All people 6 months and older are recommended to receive an influenza vaccination each year. Depending on vaccine type available to you, 2013-2014 vaccine will protect against either three or four different influenza viruses.
Children aged 6 months through 8 years of age who have never received a seasonal flu vaccine need to get two doses of vaccine spaced at least 4 weeks apart. This season, other children in this age group may need two doses as well.
Certain people are at "high risk" of serious complications from seasonal influenza. These include people 65 years and older, children younger than five years old, pregnant women, and people of any age with certain chronic medical conditions.
The best time to get vaccinated is as soon as the vaccine is available. You can still get a flu shot or the flu spray vaccine through the fall, winter or spring, since flu season usually peaks in February but continues through May. Individuals who lack health insurance should contact their county health department to inquire about flu vaccine clinics.
Information for the Public
- Influenza Activity, Surveillance and Reports
- What everyone should know about seasonal flu and seasonal flu vaccine
- Flu clinics offered by local county health departments
- Influenza de temporada (gripe), Seasonal influenza (flu) in Spanish, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Information for Providers
- Health Advisory: Influenza Prevention and Control, 2013-2014
- Immunize NY! Seasonal Influenza 2013-2014 Special Edition: Volume 5, Issue 4 (PDF)
- Regulation for Prevention of Influenza Transmission by Healthcare and Residential Facility and Agency Personnel
- Prevention and Control of Seasonal Influenza with Vaccines: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices — United States, 2013–2014, CDC
- Additional Information for Providers
- 2013-2014 Influenza Seasonal Vaccine Supply Determination as Required by Public Health Law 2112 Limiting Thimerosal
What's Your Flu IQ?
- National Influenza Vaccination Week 12/8/13-12/14/13
- Requirements for offering flu vaccination to parents and anticipated caregivers of NICU patients and to each admitted person age sixty-five years or older
- Dear Colleague Letter: Importance of Influenza Vaccination for All Health Care Personnel (HCP)
- What You Should Know for the 2013-2014 Influenza Season
- Vaccine Virus Selection for the 2013-2014 Influenza Season