What You Should Know About the Multistate Fungal Meningitis Outbreak
In response to a nationwide outbreak of fungal meningitis, the New York State Department of Health (DOH) is coordinating with the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) on a multistate investigation of meningitis among patients who may have been exposed to contaminated products from New England Compounding Center (NECC).
- Complete list of all recalled NECC products
- Complete List of NYS Providers receiving NECC Products (PDF, 352KB, 21pg.)
At present, DOH has identified one case of septic arthritis in Nassau County associated with recalled products from NECC. There are no confirmed or suspected cases of fungal meningitis in New York State.
Three different sites in New York State received shipments of the implicated steroids. DOH has been working closely with affected sites and local health departments. Each facility immediately pulled the steroids and contacted patients who were potentially exposed. The three New York sites are: Butani, Sunil H. Physician PC, Mineola; Obosa Medical Services, Mount Vernon; & Rochester Brain and Spine, Rochester. This form of meningitis is not spread person-to-person.
The Department continues to work with the CDC and the FDA to protect the health and safety of New Yorkers. Please visit the CDC website for the latest information on the multistate meningitis outbreak.
- Current case counts of fungal meningitis
- Current list of healthcare facilities that received the three recalled steroid lots
- CDC Guidance for patients
- CDC Guidance for clinicians
- FDA Questions and Answers
Additional Information about the Multistate Meningitis Outbreak:
- State Department of Health Identifies First Case of Illness in New York Associated With Recalled Products From New England Compounding Center ALBANY, N.Y. (October 18, 2012) - The New York State Department of Health (DOH) has identified one case of illness associated with the recall of products from New England Compounding Center (NECC) in Framingham, Massachusetts.
- FDA Statement on Fungal Meningitis Outbreak: Additional Patient Notification Advised - *UPDATE, 10-16-2012:On 10-15-12 the health care facility notified CDC that the initial report of two transplant patients has been revised to one patient who received cardioplegia solution from NECC. The 10-15-12 statement has been revised to reflect this information.
- New York State Department of Health Statement on Multistate Fungal Meningitis Outbreak - ALBANY, N.Y. (October 5, 2012) - In response to a nationwide outbreak of meningitis, the New York State Department of Health (DOH) is coordinating with the federal Centers for Disease Control (CDC) on a multistate investigation of meningitis among patients who received epidural steroid injections.