Swimming Pool Chemicals: Storage Area Design
- Storage Area Design is available in Portable Document Format (PDF, 121KB)
When designing an area to store pool chemicals, keep the following in mind:
- Consult with your local fire department for guidance.
- Have adequate lighting for reading labels on containers.
- Prevent water entry. Check for leakage from roofs, windows, water pipes, hoses or sprinkler systems.
- Keep chemicals off the floor and store chemicals on pallets or shelves.
- Anchor shelves to prevent tipping. Use shelves with a lip or other means of preventing chemical containers from falling off.
- Make sure there is enough room to allow unobstructed movement without bumping chemical containers.
- Do not stack chemical containers.
- Lock the chemical storage area to limit access, especially to children and animals.
- Post signs that identify chemical hazards in the storage area.
For Additional Information
Send your questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact Swimming Pool staff at:Center for Environmental Health
Bureau of Community Environmental Health & Food Protection
Empire State Plaza-Corning Tower, Room 1395
Albany, New York 12237 Phone: (518) 402-7600
Fax: (518) 402-7609