Individuals with Special Needs
People with special needs may need to take additional steps to make sure that they are prepared for an emergency. For example, emergency supply kits may need to include certain medications or other supplies, depending on an individual's needs. The information below can help individuals with special needs and their families to be prepared.
- Disaster Preparedness for Families of Children with Special Needs - Florida Institute for Family Involvement (PDF, 1.33MB, 12pg.)
- This preparation and planning guide can help families of children with special needs take unique steps to be prepared for an emergency.
- People with Disabilities and Other Access and Functional Needs - FEMA Ready America
- Tips for emergency planning for those with special needs, including an instructional video.
- On Target - Disability and Health in New York State (includes Large Print version and Spanish version)
- This issue of On Target looks at emergency preparedness for people with diabilities. We explore what you can do to prepare for an emergency, how to create a personal support network, what to include in an emergency kit, and where to go for help with planning for emergencies.