On this page you will find emergency preparedness resources designed to be resources for hospital/EMS health care professionals. It includes the Pediatric and Obstetric Emergency Preparedness Toolkit which is a guide for developing a hospital preparedness plan for children and pregnant women. This toolkit is particularly helpful for facilities that do not typically admit or treat pediatric and obstetric patients. Also included are other materials related to managing pediatric and obstetric patients during emergencies, information on improving health system preparedness for terrorism and mass casualty events, and a hospital-specific chemical and bioterrorism preparedness checklist.
- The Youngest Victims: Disaster Preparedness to Meet Children's Needs (PDF, 32KB, 4pg.)
- The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Disaster Preparedness Advisory Council has identified a variety of guiding principles and key messages that AAP members and child advocates can use to guide decision-making and support the implementation of new public policy, effective community/state planning, and appropriate education and training.
- Improving Health System Preparedness for Terrorism and Mass Casualty Events (PDF, 851KB, 54pg.)
- The American Medical Association (AMA) and the American Public Health Association (APHA) convened a series of leadership summits to develop this report. It serves as a national call for action from health professionals to strengthen health system preparedness, response, and resilience to terrorism and other catastrophic events.
- K.I.D. (Kids in Disasters) Kit
- This CD-ROM (often referred to as the K.I.D. Kit) is available to order. It provides child and family-centered materials addressing disaster triage, the Broselow-Luten principles of color-coding children, tools for responding to incidents involving agents of chemical warfare, and several other aspects of pediatric disaster planning and preparedness.
- Pediatric Disaster Preparedness: A Resource for Planning, Management, and Provision of Out-of-Hospital Emergency Care
- This resource has been designed to focus on the practical and essential elements of pediatric prehospital emergency care in EMS system planning for disasters and terrorism.
- Pediatric Disaster Resource and Training Center
- A resource from Childrens Hospital Los Angeles (with funding from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services) that examines and addresses gaps in pediatric disaster planning.
- Hospital Pediatric Equipment Inventories for Disaster Response (PDF, 87KB, 4pg.)
- A listing of Florida EMSC guidelines for equipment inventories in disaster response trailers.
- The Decontamination of Children: Preparedness and Response for Hospital Emergency Departments
- This Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) DVD outlines the key differences between treating children and adults, describes the important steps necessary to decontaminate, and provides an overview of the process and systems needed to respond to this need.
- Caring for Pregnant Birthing Women and Their Newborns During Disasters: An Introduction to the Issues
- This module from the University of Minnesota is intended to increase the awareness and impact of disasters on pregnant/birthing women and their newborns and describe the healthcare needs of pregnant/birthing women and their newborns during disasters.