Fatality Assessment and Control Evaluation (FACE)
Sanitation Fatal Injury Facts
In upstate New York, 7 workers died while collecting refuse between 2003 and 2005. Below are real-life descriptions of workers who were killed on the job.
- A 21-year-old sanitation worker was riding on a garbage truck that was backing down a street. He fell off the back of the truck and was run over by the front wheel.
- A 30-year-old sanitation worker was riding on a garbage truck on a rainy morning when the truck went around a corner. He fell off the truck and struck his head on the pavement.
- A 24-year-old sanitation worker was collecting recyclables while standing on the rear platform of a moving garbage truck. He fell and struck his head.
- A 60-year-old recycling truck driver was working alone collecting recyclables. He slipped beneath the truck's rear wheels and the truck rolled over him.
How Can These Accidents be Prevented?
- Drivers should:
- Find all workers, either directly or in mirrors, before moving in any direction. Stop backing immediately if you can't see all workers.
- Avoid sudden starts or stops that could cause riders to be thrown from riding steps.
- Wait for step riders to signal before putting the truck in motion.
- Other crew members should:
- Ride in the cab or a separate vehicle when not on the collection route.
- Use riding steps only when the truck is moving forward for short distances (<0.2 mi.) at slow speeds (<10 mph).
- Ride facing the side of the truck with both hands on the handholds.
- Step (do not jump) off steps only after the truck has completely stopped.
- Wear slip-resistant footwear and avoid narrow cleats or spikes.
- Be aware of the driver's blind spot. If you can't see the driver in the mirror, he can't see you.
New York Fatality Assessment & Control Evaluation (FACE)
The NY FACE program is supported by a grant from the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). Additional information can be obtained by contacting:Center for Environmental Health
Bureau of Occupational Health and Injury Prevention
Empire State Plaza-Corning Tower, Room 1325
Albany, New York 12237