Camp Aquatics Director for NYS Children's Camp Bathing Facilities
Fact Sheet - February 2014
- Camp Aquatics Director for NYS Children's Camp Bathing Facilities is available in Portable Document Format (PDF).
A camp aquatics director must oversee all swimming activities that occur at swimming pools and bathing beaches operated as part of a children's camp. This person shall supervise lifeguards and other required staff during swimming activities and implement the camp safety plan. The camp aquatics director must:
- be at least 21 years of age
- have a minimum of:
- one season of previous experience as a camp aquatics director at a New York State children's camp; or
- two seasons of previous experience consisting of at least 12 weeks as a children's camp lifeguard which had more than one lifeguard supervising it at a time; or
- 18 weeks of previous experience as a lifeguard at a swimming pool or bathing beach, which had more than one lifeguard supervising it at a time.
- hold an accepted and current cardiopulmonary resuscitation certificate
- annually review and document the review of the camp's safety plan for swimming
- possess current certification in a training course for lifeguard supervision and management as described below.
An Aquatics Director may not:
|American Red Cross (ARC)||Lifeguard Management2,3|
|Boy Scouts of America (BSA)||BSA Aquatic Instructor|
|New York State Department of Environmental Conservation||New York State Lifeguard Management|
|Aquatics Management Trainer|
- Certifications are valid for the time period specified by the provider, but may not exceed three years from the date of course completion.
- Lifeguard Management (LGM) certifications obtained online:
- As of 1/1/14, LGM is only offered online. In-person testing is obtained through ARC Lifeguarding Instructors that are ARC Authorized Providers.
- Certification expiration date is based on the LGM certificate, not the in-person testing certificate date.
- Certifications issued after 12/31/13 must be accompanied by a separate certification indicating in-person testing session.