Learn-to-Swim Programs for NYS Children's Camps
Fact Sheet – March 2016
- Learn-to-Swim Programs for NYS Children's Camps is available in Portable Document Format (PDF).
Subpart 7-2 of the State Sanitary Code allows non-swimmers to enter water that is chest deep or greater when participating in a learn-to-swim program that has been determined to use a supervision protocol which protects campers from injury or drowning. The programs listed below have been determined to be acceptable.
- Instructors must possess current certification as a progressive swimming instructor in the program being utilized to teach swimming.
- Qualified lifeguards must supervise learn-to-swim programs. A progressive swimming instructor may not perform lifeguard duties, unless:
- currently certified as a qualified lifeguard and
- he/she is not concurrently performing teaching duties.
- A Buddy System and Board System (or equivalent) of supervising and checking bathers must be implemented during all swimming activities, including learn-to-swim programs.
|American Red Cross|
|Boy Scouts of America|
|Orchard Park Recreation|
- Children's camps may utilize learn-to-swim programs that are not listed above to teach swimming at camp; however, non-swimmers must be restricted to water that is less than chest deep at all times.