Camp Trip Swimming Program Safety Certifications for NYS Children's Camp
Fact Sheet - February 2014
- Camp Trip Swimming Program Safety Certifications for NYS Children's Camps is available in Portable Document Format (PDF).
When swimming is conducted during a camp trip to an aquatics facility that is supervised by qualified lifeguard(s), the camp must supply one additional lifeguard or a staff member possessing training in Children's Camp Swimming Program Safety for each 75 campers at the swimming activity (See Aquatic Certification Fact Sheet for a list of qualified lifeguard certification). A camp supplied lifeguard or staff trained in swimming safety is not required for aquatic amusement park activities that allow only one or two patrons in the water at a time and the activity water depth does not exceed chest deep for non-swimmers.
The following courses have been accepted by the Department as meeting or exceeding course standards for training in Children's Camp Swimming Program Safety specified in Section 7-2.11(a)(4)(iv)(a) of the State Sanitary Code:
|American Red Cross (ARC)||Lifeguard Management2,3|
|American Red Cross on Long Island||Pool Activity Leader|
|Boy Scouts of America (BSA)||BSA Aquatic Instructor|
|New York State Department of Environmental Conservation||New York State Lifeguard Management|
|Aquatics Management Trainer|
- Certifications are valid for the time period specified by the certifying agency, but may not exceed a consecutive three-year period from course completion.
- Lifeguard Management (LGM) certifications obtained online:
- As of 1/1/14, LGM is only offered online. In-person testing is obtained through ARC Lifeguarding Instructors that are ARC Authorized Providers.
- Certification expiration date is based on the LGM certificate, not the in-person testing certificate date.
- Certifications issued after 12/31/13 must be accompanied by a separate certification indicating in-person testing session.