Camp Trip Swimming Program Safety Certifications for NYS Children's Camp
Fact Sheet - March 2016
- Camp Trip Swimming Program Safety Certifications for NYS Children's Camps is available in Portable Document Format (PDF).
When swimming is conducted during a camp trip to an aquatics facility that is supervised by qualified lifeguard(s), the camp must supply one additional lifeguard or a staff member possessing training in Children’s Camp Swimming Program Safety for each 75 campers at the swimming activity (See Aquatic Certifications Fact Sheet for a list of qualified lifeguard certifications).
A camp supplied lifeguard or staff trained in swimming safety is not required for aquatic amusement park activities that allow only one or two patrons in the water at a time and the activity water depth does not exceed chest deep for non-swimmers.
The following courses have been accepted by the Department as meeting or exceeding course standards for training in Children’s Camp Swimming Program Safety specified in Section 7-2.11(a)(4)(iv)(a) of the State Sanitary Code:
|American Red Cross||Lifeguard Management2, 3|
|American Red Cross on Long Island||Pool Activity Leader|
|Boy Scouts of America||Aquatics Supervision|
|Aquatics Management Trainer,4|
- Certifications are valid for the time period specified by the certifying agency, but may not exceed a consecutive three-year period from course completion.
- Lifeguard Management certifications:
- As of January 1, 2014, Lifeguard Management is only offered online. In-person testing is required and obtained through American Red Cross Lifeguarding Instructors that are American Red Cross Authorized Providers.
- Certification expiration date is based on the Lifeguard Management certificate, not the in-person testing certificate date.
- Cards issued prior to January 1, 2014 without an expiration date can be accepted for three years from date of issuance.
- Certifications issued after 12/31/13 must be accompanied by a separate certification indicating in-person testing session.
- Aquatics Management and Aquatics Management Trainer certifications are no longer offered:
- Certification in Aquatics Management remains valid for three years from date of certification, but no later than 12/31/2018.
- Certification in Aquatics Management Trainer remains valid for two years from date of certification, but no later than 12/31/2017.