Hudson River Fish: Health Advice, Publications, Projects
Can You Eat Fish from the Hudson?
Chemicals in Hudson River fish can harm your health even if the fish look healthy and the water looks clean. These chemicals--called PCBs--may be more harmful to young children and unborn babies.
Women under 50 years and children under 15 years
- Do not eat any fish or crabs from the Hudson River south of the Corinth dam.
- See the advice about eating Hudson River fish.
Men over 15 years and women over 50 years
Follow the advice diagram to reduce PCBs, which are in the fat of fish.
- After trimming as shown, broil, grill or bake the fish on a rack so that fat drips away.
- Do not pan-fry the fish or use drippings to make stock or sauce.
Use our order form to request copies of free fish advisory publications.
- Hudson River: Health Advice on Eating Fish You Catch
This brochure provides health advice on eating fish caught from the Hudson River. It provides advice for women over age 50 and men, and special advice for women of childbearing age (under age 50) and children (under age 15). It includes a map showing all areas of the Hudson River with health advisories. Also available in Spanish.
- Northern Hudson River: Health Advice on Eating Fish You Catch in Saratoga, Warren and Washington Counties
This brochure provides health advice on eating fish caught from the Northern Hudson River. It provides advice for women over age 50 and men, and special advice for women of childbearing age (under age 50) and children (under age 15). It includes a map showing health advisories.
- Advice on Eating Hudson River Fish
Wallet-size angler advisory cards that detail which Hudson River fish men over 15 and women over 50 can eat, and which fish they should not eat. The advice about eating fish varies depending upon the location on the river.
- Can You Eat That Fish From the Hudson?
- Hudson River Creatures Activity Book
A 20-page activity and coloring book for schools, health care waiting rooms and Hudson River community events.
- Fish Trimming Magnet
This brightly colored 4"x4" magnet illustrates the important message of how to reduce PCBs in fish. Also available in Spanish, Quite la grasa.
- Hudson River Fish Advisory Signs Order Form
Free Hudson River fish advisory signs (coated 12" x 14" aluminum with mounting holes) are available to municipalities and other Hudson River property owners. Also available in Spanish.
Additional Advisories and Publications
- Health Advice on Eating Fish You Catch:
Public Service Announcements
Read or listen to our public service announcements about the Hudson River fish advisory.
Hudson River Fish Advisory Outreach Project
The Hudson River Fish Advisory Outreach Project is a multi-year initiative of the New York State Department of Health. The goal of the Project is for all anglers and others who eat fish from the Hudson River to know about and follow the New York State fish advisories. The project area extends from Hudson Falls to the New York City Battery (PDF, 156KB, 1pg.).