Supervision Level III Aquatic Staff Certification Required for Instructional Activities
(Not Applicable to Children's Camps)
- Supervision Level III Aquatic Staff Certification Required for Instructional Activities is available in Portable Document Format (PDF 30KB, 1pg.)
Fact Sheet – January 2013
The New York State Sanitary Code requires Supervision Level III staff to possess aquatic injury prevention and emergency response certification when assisting required lifeguards (Supervision Level IIa) during instructional activities, in accordance with Section 6-1.23(a)(6) of Subpart 6-1 of the New York State Sanitary Code.
Instructional activities include, but are not limited to:
- learn-to-swim programs;
- physical education classes; and
- swim team practices.
One Supervision Level III staff must be provided for each required lifeguard engaged in instructional activities.
|American Red Cross||Lifeguard Management|
|East Aurora Union Free School District||East Aurora Union Free School District Level Three Aquatic Supervisor Course|
|Buffalo Public Schools||Second Set of Eyes|
In addition to the training, Level III Aquatic Supervisory staff must:
- Be a minimum of 18 years;
- Possess a current American Red Cross Community Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation or equivalent certification, not to exceed one year; and
- Possess competencies as specified in Section 6-1.31(c)(1)(iii) of the State Sanitary Code.