Radon Awareness Through Physicians
Join the Campaign!
It is estimated that each year exposure to indoor radon gas causes over 21,000 lung cancer deaths in the United States. It is the second leading cause after cigarette smoking. Physicians can have a tremendous positive impact on the health of New Yorkers by encouraging radon testing and mitigation, to help reduce the likelihood of radon induced lung cancer.
New York State medical professionals can play a vital role in informing the public about the risk of radon, since physicians are trusted advisors on health and prevention of disease. The New York State Department of Health Radon Program (Radon Program) is partnering with medical professionals who would like to educate and inform their patients about the risks associated with radon. Many physicians, clinics and hospitals throughout the state have already begun. The Radon Program has created resources and informational packets designed to help you effectively inform your patients.
What Can Medical Professionals Do?
- Make Radon Program supplied educational materials available in your waiting room.
- Include a question about home radon testing on your patient intake form.
- Schedule a radon presentation for medical support staff by calling 518-402-7556 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Provide patients with low-cost test kits, or provide test kit coupons or information about how low-cost test kits may be obtained from the Radon Program.
- Refer patients with more questions to the Radon Program.
If you would like to participate in the "Radon Awareness Through Physicians" campaign, please contact us at email@example.com or 518-402-7556.