New York State and National Radon Poster Contest
The New York State Radon Program and Kansas State University, in partnership with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, sponsored a New York State and National Radon Poster Contest. The goals are to raise awareness about the harmful effects of elevated levels of indoor radon gas and to increase the number of homes tested for radon.
All schools in states, territories, tribal nations, and Department of Defense were encouraged to participate in the radon poster contest. Judging panels selected winners and runner-ups in each participating state and territory for entry in the national contest. To see a list of this year's radon poster contest winners, go to www.sosradon.org.
New York State winners qualify for entry in the National Radon Poster Contest. National winners will receive award plaques and gift cards in the amount of $1000 for first place, $600 for second, $400 for third, and $400 for special online voting recognition. National winners will be recognized in the state and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency region where they live, and the posters will be reproduced and distributed nationally to promote radon awareness.
New York had many wonderful entries. A panel of judges selected the top three posters and submitted them for the national contest. The top three winners were given gift cards for a local book store and all participants received certificates. All posters were displayed in the Empire State Plaza in Albany for a two week period in January.
2012-2013 School Year
Winners of the New York State 2012-2013 school year contest:
- First Place: Allison Bringley, Rochester
- Second Place: Bernadette Bruu, Webster
- Third Place: Molly Bronk, Fairport
2011-2012 School Year
During the 2011-2012 school year, the first place winner in New York's poster contest was named the winner of the National Radon Poster Contest!
Laura Dabalsa's artwork was judged along with more than 1,400 other entries from other states and U.S. territories. Laura's poster raises awareness of the health risks associated with radon in the home and was cited for its originality and strong visual message.
- First Place: Laura Dabalsa, Booker T. Washington School, New York City
- Second Place: Ye Bid Sohn, Our Lady of Mercy High School, Rochester
- Third Place: Kristen Smith, Our Lady of Mercy High School, Rochester
2010-2011 School Year
New York had many wonderful entries for the 2010-2011 school year contest:
- First Place: Ade Cornelius, Albert Leonard Middle School, New Rochelle
- Second Place: Annie Xiao, Brooklyn Technical High School, Brooklynk
- Third Place: Jessica Nicole Smith, Albert Leonard Middle School, New Rochelle
2009-2010 School Year
Winners of the New York State 2009-2010 school year contest:
- First Place: Frankie Mejia, Saints Peter and Paul School, Mt. Vernon
- Second Place: Jose Pemole, Saints Peter and Paul School, Mt. Vernon
- Third Place: Eduardo Arizmend, Saints Peter and Paul School, Mt. Vernon
For additional information, please contact the New York State Department of Health Radon Program at 518-402-7556. You may also email us at email@example.comNYSDOH Radon Program
ATTN: Poster Contest
Bureau of Environmental Radiation Protection
Empire State Plaza
Corning Tower, Room 1218
Albany, NY 12237