New York State and National Radon Poster Contest
The New York State Department of Health Radon Program sponsors a yearly in-state radon poster contest to coincide with the Kansas State University and the US Environmental Protection Agency national radon poster contest. The goals are to raise awareness about the harmful effects of elevated levels of indoor radon gas and to increase the number of homes tested for radon.
Children ages 9-14 are eligible to participate. They can be enrolled in a public, private, or home school - or through a sponsoring club, such as an art, computer or science club; scouting organization, or 4-H club. The deadline for entries to the New York State Department of Health Radon Program is October 15th. Entries are accepted from the following radon topics depicted in the artwork:
- What is radon?
- Where is radon found?
- Where does radon come from?
- Radon can cause lung cancer.
- Test your home for radon.
A prize is awarded to the overall winner and runner up. The top three entries are submitted to the National Radon Poster Contest.
Participants/teachers/coordinators may submit posters to the Radon Section at the following address:NYSDOH Radon Program
ATTN: Poster Contest
Bureau of Environmental Radiation Protection
Empire State Plaza
Corning Tower, Room 1218
Albany, NY 12237
Please ensure the Artwork Submittal Form accompanies the artwork.
New York State winners qualify for entry in the National Poster Contest. National winners will receive award plaques and gift cards in the amount of $1000 for first place, $600 for second, $400 for third, and $400 for special online voting recognition. National winners will be recognized in the state and EPA region where they live, and the posters will be reproduced and distributed nationally to promote radon awareness. For additional information, please contact the Radon Program via e-mail at email@example.com or phone (518) 402-7556, or see the National Radon Poster Contest brochure.
2012-2013 School Year
Winners of the New York State 2012-2013 school year contest:
- First Place: Allison Bringley, Rochester
- Second Place: Bernadette Bruu, Webster
- Third Place: Molly Bronk, Fairport
2011-2012 School Year
During the 2011-2012 school year, the first place winner in New York's poster contest was named the winner of the National Radon Poster Contest!
Laura Dabalsa's artwork was judged along with more than 1,400 other entries from other states and U.S. territories. Laura's poster raises awareness of the health risks associated with radon in the home and was cited for its originality and strong visual message.
- First Place: Laura Dabalsa, Booker T. Washington School, New York City
- Second Place: Ye Bid Sohn, Our Lady of Mercy High School, Rochester
- Third Place: Kristen Smith, Our Lady of Mercy High School, Rochester
2010-2011 School Year
New York had many wonderful entries for the 2010-2011 school year contest:
- First Place: Ade Cornelius, Albert Leonard Middle School, New Rochelle
- Second Place: Annie Xiao, Brooklyn Technical High School, Brooklynk
- Third Place: Jessica Nicole Smith, Albert Leonard Middle School, New Rochelle
2009-2010 School Year
Winners of the New York State 2009-2010 school year contest:
- First Place: Frankie Mejia, Saints Peter and Paul School, Mt. Vernon
- Second Place: Jose Pemole, Saints Peter and Paul School, Mt. Vernon
- Third Place: Eduardo Arizmend, Saints Peter and Paul School, Mt. Vernon
For additional information, please contact the New York State Department of Health Radon Program at 518-402-7556. You may also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.