DAL 13-10: Amended Regulations Require that Transitional Adult Home Operators Reduce the Facility's Mental Health Census
May 3, 2013
DAL: DAL 13-10
Dear Adult Home Administrator:
Effective January 16, 2013, regulations found at Sections 460-d, 461, and 461-e of the Social Services Law, Section 486.7 of Part 486 and Part 487 of Title 18 of the Official Compilation of Codes, Rules and Regulations of the State of New York (NYCRR), were amended and adopted. As referenced in the Dear Adult Home Administrator Letter 13-01, the regulations directly affect New York State's adult homes.
Specifically, the amended regulations require that operators of transitional adult homes, as defined in 18 NYCRR 487.13(b)(1), submit Compliance Plans by May 16, 2013 consistent with 18 NYCRR 487.13(c)(d)(e) to reduce the mental health census of the facility. Compliance Plans must specify the following:
- How and by when the transitional adult home operator will achieve a mental health census that is under 25 percent of the resident population in facilities with a certified bed capacity of 80 beds or more;
- How the transitional adult home operator will address the needs of its residents, in particular those residents who are persons with serious mental illness as defined in 18 NYCRR 487.2 (c), while the reduction in mental health census is being achieved, including but not limited to:
- Fostering the development of independent living skills;
- Ensuring access to quality mental health services;
- Encouraging community involvement and integration; and
- Fostering a homelike environment.
The Department strongly recommends transitional adult home operators re-evaluate and revise existing policies and practices to assist residents with serious mental illness to solidify skill sets necessary for independent community living. In addition, transitional adult home operators must continue to work collaboratively with housing contractors along with supportive service providers including Health Homes, Managed Long Term Care plans and case management to lay the foundation for successful transition.
Transitional adult home Compliance Plans should be submitted by May 16, 2013 via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please feel free to contact the Department via the email above with any questions regarding the amended regulations or the submission of the required Compliance Plan for transitional adult homes.
Valerie A. Deetz, Director
Community Transitions Program
Center for Health Care Quality & Surveillance