Medicaid Family Planning Services
- How do I get Medicaid Family Planning Services? If you have Medicaid managed care in New York State, you can go to any provider inside or outside your health plan for family planning and reproductive health services, as long as that provider accepts Medicaid and offers the services you need.
- Do I need prior approval from my health plan or regular doctor? No. You do not need a referral from your primary care provider (PCP) or anyone else in your health plan to see any family planning provider inside or outside your plan that offers these services and accepts Medicaid.
- What kind of services can I get? You have free and confidential access to:
- all types of birth control: pills, condoms, diaphragms, IUDs, Depo Provera, Norplant, and contraceptive foams;
- emergency contraception;
- pregnancy tests;
- sterilization (tubal ligations and vasectomies);
- testing and treatment for sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) including colposcopy, cryotherapy and LEEP;*
- HIV testing and pre test and post test counseling;*
- Pap smears; testing for cervical cancer, pelvic problems, breast disease, anemia, and high blood pressure;*
*As part of a family planning visit
Growing Up Healthy Hotline: 1-800-522-5006
New York City Medicaid Managed Care Helpline: 1-800-505-5678