Medicaid Satisfaction Survey Report - February 2012
Consumer Satisfaction Survey of Medicaid Managed Care Health Plan Enrollees
As part of its charge to monitor managed care plan performance and improve the quality of care provided to New York State residents, the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) sponsors a satisfaction survey every other year for adults enrolled in Medicaid managed care plans. The Department uses the results from this biannual survey to determine variation in member satisfaction among the plans.
In New York City, Medicaid enrollees living with HIV/AIDS may be enrolled in a type of Medicaid managed care plan called a Special Needs Plan (SNP). These plans are designed to specifically address the needs of members living with HIV/AIDS by providing access to providers experienced in HIV/AIDS care and offering services specialized for HIV patients. While members enrolled in Medicaid managed care plans have been surveyed about their experience of care since 2000, this was the first time that members enrolled in SNPs were surveyed. While SNPs are a type of Medicaid managed care plan, the benefit package for SNP members differs significantly from the mainstream plans. The instrument and administration of the satisfaction survey was the same for both the mainstream and SNP plans, however results between the two plan types were analyzed separately for fair comparison.
The Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS®) survey is a comprehensive tool designed to assess consumers' experience with health care and health plans. CAHPS® is the survey instrument that asks health plan members about experiences with access to care, health care providers, and health plans. DataStat, Inc. conducted the survey on behalf of the NYSDOH in 2011. The instrument used for the administration of the survey was the CAHPS® 4.0 Adult Medicaid core survey, developed and tested nationally for assessing the performance of health plans.
The majority of question items address domains of member experience, such as getting care quickly, communication with doctors, and overall satisfaction with health care and with the health plan. The survey was expanded to include 23 supplemental questions addressing areas of particular interest to the NYSDOH. The final section of the instrument contains a set of questions collecting demographic data. In total, the survey instrument consists of 63 questions. A copy of the modified CAHPS® questionnaire can be found in Appendix A of the report.
Adult Medicaid Health Plan Survey - CAHPS - February 2012
- Affinity Health Plan (PDF, 1.31MB, 102pg.)
- Amerigroup New York (PDF, 1.32MB, 102pg.)
- CDPHP (PDF, 1.27MB, 102pg.)
- Excellus BlueCross BlueShield (PDF, 1.33MB, 101pg.)
- Fidelis Care New York (PDF, 1.32MB, 101pg.)
- Health Plus (PDF, 1.30MB, 102pg.)
- Healthfirst PHSP (PDF, 1.31MB, 102pg.)
- HealthNow New York (PDF, 843.5KB, 101pg.)
- HIP (PDF, 1.30MB, 102pg.)
- Hudson Health Plan (PDF,1.30MB, 101pg.)
- Independent Health's MediSource (PDF, 1.33MB, 102pg.)
- MetroPlus Health Plan (PDF, 845KB, 102pg.)
- MVP (PDF, 1.26MB, 101pg.)
- Neighborhood Health Providers (PDF, 1.33MB, 102pg.)
- Total Care (PDF, 1.28MB, 101pg.)
- UnitedHealthcare Community Plan (PDF, 1.32MB, 102pg.)
- Univera Community Health (PDF, 1.31MB, 102pg.)
- WellCare of New York (PDF, 1.31MB, 102pg.)