Long Term Home Health Care Program
- Coordinated plan of medical, nursing, and rehabilitative care provided at home to disabled persons who are medically eligible for placement in a nursing home
- Offers patients an alternative to institutionalization
Who is eligible?
This program is available to individuals who are medically eligible for placement in a nursing home and choose to receive services at home. These individuals must have care costs which are less than the nursing home cost in the county.
How do I find the Long Term Home Health Care Program?
Individuals can access this program through a hospital discharge planner, the local Department of Social Services (LDSS), or a Long Term Home Health Care Provider. The county determines eligibility for the program, and the LDSS authorizes all services that are provided.
All regular Medicaid services are provided and the following may be available:
- Case management by RNs
- Home delivered or congregate meals
- Housing improvements and moving assistance
- Respiratory therapy
- Medical social services, nutrition and dietary services
- Respite care, social day care, and social transportation
The LDSS is responsible for participating in the periodic reassessment of the services provided. The providers are responsible for obtaining physician orders and administering the assessment tools. The NYS Department of Health periodically surveys the providers to determine the quality and scope of the medical, nursing and rehabilitative care they deliver.