Registration & Attestation
The process by which a provider applies for the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program consists of the following steps:
- The provider registers at the federal Medicare & Medicaid EHR Incentive Program Registration and Attestation System, providing basic eligibility information and selecting the NY Medicaid EHR Incentive Program.
- NY Medicaid receives the registration data from the federal system and performs initial processing. When this processing is complete, NY Medicaid notifies the provider that he or she can continue with State-level registration using the NY Medicaid EHR Incentive Program Application Support Service (MEIPASS).
- The provider registers with NY Medicaid via MEIPASS, providing more detailed information on Medicaid- and State-specific eligibility criteria.
- The provider uses MEIPASS to attest to the activities relevant to the participation year: adoption, implementation, or upgrade of certified EHR technology in the first year, and meaningful use in the second and subsequent years.
- NY Medicaid evaluates the application and either issues the incentive payment or notifies the provider of any problems.
More information on these steps is provided below.
All participants in the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs begin the process by registering with the Medicare & Medicaid EHR Incentive Program Registration and Attestation System. Having this common entry point for all providers ensures that providers cannot register for both the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs or for Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs in more than one state.
To complete the federal registration, you will need the following information:
- National Provider Identifier (NPI)
- National Plan and Provider Enumeration System (NPPES) user ID and Password
- Payee Tax Identification Number, if you are reassigning your benefits
- Payee National Provider Identifier (NPI), if you are reassigning your benefits
- CMS Identity and Access Management (I&A) User ID and Password
- CMS Certification Number (CCN)
- National Provider Identifier (NPI)
- Hospital Tax Identification Number
During the federal registration process, you will be requested for the CMS Certification Number of your EHR technology. This information is optional at this point - it is perfectly acceptable to register even before you choose an EHR system. However, you will need to provide the CMS Certification Number at the time you attest. You will also need to select the Medicaid program and indicate that you are participating in New York; the ability to select New York as your participation state will be enabled once the NY Medicaid program has launched.
After you have completed the federal registration and selected the NY Medicaid EHR Incentive Program, CMS sends the information you provided to NY Medicaid for processing. At this point, NY Medicaid verifies that the provider is an active enrolled provider in good standing, and that there are no significant discrepancies between the information provided from the federal registration and the provider information on file with NY Medicaid. If there are discrepancies, you may be notified as to the proper steps to take to correct the provider file or the federal registration before continuing. If you are not an enrolled provider in the NY Medicaid fee-for-service system, you will be notified that you must enroll before continuing with registration for the EHR incentive.
Once all the federal registration information is verified, you will receive a welcome email that invites you to log in to MEIPASS to complete registration and attestation. To log in to MEIPASS, you will need to use the same username and password you use for the ePACES system; if you do not have an ePACES account, visit the eMedNY Self Help page to find out how to enroll.
Once you log in to MEIPASS, you can begin the registration process. In this process, you will provide detailed information on the eligibility criteria (such as Medicaid patient volume). The steps involved in this process vary depending on provider type and, for Eligible Professionals, the nature of the practice.
After successfully completing the registration, you can immediately move on to attesting to the activities required for your program participation year. At this point, you will need to provide the CMS EHR Certification Number for the system or combination of modules you are using. If you do not have the CMS EHR Certification Number, you can look it up using the ONC Certified Health IT Product List (CHPL).
In the first year, all providers will be required to attest to adoption, implementation, or upgrade of certified EHR technology. In subsequent years, you will be required to provide information on the meaningful use objectives you completed and clinical quality measures.
To complete your attestation, you will need to agree to the attestation statement and electronically sign your application. At that point, NY Medicaid will begin processing the application; if there are no problems, the incentive payment will be disbursed in a lump sum using the payment information you provided during federal registration. In some cases, it will be necessary for NY Medicaid to contact you to verify aspects of your registration or attestation before issuing the incentive payment.