Housing and Health Homes
Housing is an essential service component of the Health Home program and stable housing is integral to improving health outcomes and lowering costs for high-needs, high cost Medicaid members. Designated Lead Health Homes are expected to develop health home networks to provide enrollees access to housing. Health Home care management will work with supportive housing providers to transition to and maintain stable housing by coordinating needed behavioral, social and medical services. In the future, all Health Home and Housing related material will be available on this web page.
Health Home to Housing Materials
- Summary of Health Homes and Supportive Housing (PDF, 110KB)
Recent partnerships between NYSDOH Health Home Program and Housing Providers
In December 2012, the Health Home Program sent an online questionnaire to all lead Health Homes as it relates to MRT Health Home initiatives. Answers helped to develop the agenda for round table discussions between Health Homes, housing providers, and other stakeholders. Survey results as well as round table discussions complement the work of the MRT Affordable Housing workgroup.
- Health Homes Supportive Housing Survey Summary (PDF, 48KB)
Medicaid Redesign Team – Health Home Supportive Housing Pilot
In partnership with the Medicaid Redesign Team Affordable Housing Workgroup, the Health Home program will be issuing an RFA for funding to run a Health Home Supportive Housing Pilot Program. The pilot program will seek to provide rental and service subsidies for Health Home members through an increased collaboration between Supportive Housing Providers and Health Homes.
In addition to the Health Home pilot program there are several other MRT initiatives related to housing. The MRT Supportive Housing Initiative seeks to ensure that Medicaid members have proper housing that promotes a healthy environment and lifestyle. Below are previous housing procurements and maps highlighting available MRT housing units across New York State. More information can be found on the Department of Health Redesigning Medicaid website.
- New York State Homes and Community Renewal RFP (June 2013)
- OASAS Awards for Medicaid Redesign Team (MRT) Permanent Supportive Housing (PSH) Initiative
- OMH Supported Housing For Adults With Serious Mental Illness - Brooklyn
- OMH Supported Housing For Adults With Serious Mental Illness - New York City and Long Island
Maps of MRT housing units across New York State
- MRT Supportive Housing Brochure (PDF, 178KB)
- AIDS Institute Supported Housing Units (PDF, 956KB)
- Homeless Housing and Assistance Program (HHAP) Units (PDF, 247KB)
- Homes and Community Renewal (HCR) Supported Housing (PDF, 225KB)
- New York State Supported Housing Program (NYSSHP) Supported Housing (PDF, 1.49MB)
- Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services (OASAS) Supportive Housing (PDF, 936KB)
- Office of Mental Health (OMH) Supported Housing (PDF, 1.4MB)
- Office for People With Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD) Supportive Housing (PDF, 713KB)
Medicaid Redesign Team Affordable Housing Workgroup
The charge of the Workgroup is to evaluate New York's current programs of supportive housing for the purpose of assuring that the availability of necessary care and services. Supportive housing will be broadly defined as any combination of market rate or subsidized housing and services that will meet the needs of the targeted populations. The Health Home program will continue to work in partnership with the Workgroup moving forward.
Useful Housing Links and Websites
- AIDS Institute on Housing
- Association of Community Living (ACL)
- Bronx Health and Housing Consortium Referral Manual
- Center for Urban Community Services (CUCS) Weekly Vacancy Update
- HIV/AIDS Services Administration (HASA) Information
- NYNY 3 Supportive Housing Agreement
- NYC Department of Homeless Services
- New York State Homes & Community Renewal (HCR)
- NYC Housing Services
- Office of Alcohol and Substance Abuse Services (OASAS) Housing Program
- Office of Mental Health (OMH) Supported Housing Guidelines
- Supportive Housing Network of New York (SHNNY)
- Supportive Housing as a Health Care and Health Policy Solution, November 2011