Behavioral Health Transition to Managed Care
Behavioral Health Transition Timeline
The NYS Behavioral Health (BH) Transition Team for Medicaid, comprised of leads from OASAS, OMH, and DOH, is updating the target dates for implementing the transition of BH services.
Children's Quarterly MRT Behavioral Health Workgroup Meeting
Monday, April 28, 2014, 12:00pm-3:00pm
- New York City - OMH Field Office
- 330 Fifth Avenue, Conference Room A
- 4.28.14 Children's Behavioral health Workgroup Webcast Link:
Behavioral Health Draft Rate Ranges for the Rest of State (ROS) HARP Population
On May 23, 2014 NYS released draft rate ranges for the Rest of State HARP population. These ranges were developed for a full year contract period (7/1/2015 – 6/30/2016), though the contract period would likely only be from 7/1/2015 – 3/31/2016.
Behavioral Health RFQ Applicant's Conference for New York City Applicants
On May 2, 2014 Managed Care applicants and other interested parties participated in a Applicant's Conference where the State responded to questions on the RFQ "for Behavioral Health Benefit Administration: Managed Care Organizations and Health and Recovery Plans." The following materials were presented to attendees.
- Behavioral Health Managed Care Applicant's Conference Power Point (PDF, 741KB)
- Behavioral Health RFQ Questions (PDF, 391KB)
Written responses to inquiries not addressed at the RFQ Applicant's Conference are posted below. New York State is formulating responses to additional questions and will post the answers as soon as possible.
- Behavioral Health Frequently Asked Questions (PDF, 501KB)
NYS Request for Qualification Package
NYS released the Request for Qualification regarding "Behavioral Health Administration: Managed Care Organizations and Health and Recovery Plans". Applications for Managed Care Organizations serving New York City are due by June 6, 2014. RFQ applications for Managed Care Organizations serving the rest of the state will be due approximately six months later.
This RFQ package includes the following four items that accompany the RFQ cover letter:
- New York State Behavioral Health Managed Care RFQ Cover Letter (PDF, 159KB)
- Behavioral Health Managed Care Request for Qualification Application (PDF, 783KB)
- Data Book for Mainstream Managed Care Organizations and Health and Recovery Plans (HARPs) (updated from December 2013 distribution)(PDF, 573KB)
- Preliminary premium for the NYC Health and Recovery Plan (HARP) benefit (PDF, 10KB)
- 2015 HARP NYC Capitation Rate Development (PDF)
- Chart showing the number of NYC and NYS potential HARP enrollees by Plan (PDF)
NYS has modified templates for Medicaid Managed Care Plan financial and enrollment projections. Instructions and templates can be found below. These documents were amended on 5/22/14.
- Instructions for financial projections (PDF, 23KB)
- Financial projections template (Schedules B & H are HARP only) (XLS, 284KB)
Behavioral Health Transition RFI/RFQ Webinar
A webinar was held by the NYS Department of Health (DOH), Office of Mental Health (OMH), and Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services (OASAS): "RFI/RFQ for Managed Care Behavioral Health Services and HARP".
This presentation focused on the newly released Request for Information/ DRAFT Request for Qualification (RFI/RFQ) to NYS Medicaid Managed Care Plans. Plans will be submitting applications to New York State demonstrating that they have the organizational capacity to ensure the delivery of quality behavioral health care, managed by Health Plans, Health Plans in partnership with Behavioral Health Organizations, and/or Health and Recovery Plans (HARPs) These applications will be reviewed against new behavioral health specific administrative, clinical, program, and fiscal standards. The RFI is designed to solicit input concerning New York's draft proposal to manage behavioral health services.
The webinar took place on Tuesday, December 17, 2013 at 1:00 PM. Below you will find the slides presented in the webinar.
- MRT Webinar on Behavioral Health Managed Care (PDF, 334KB)
Behavioral Health 1115 Waiver Amendment
The three documents below were sent to the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) on December 30, 2013. The cover letter to CMS describes how the Behavioral Health 1115 Waiver Amendment allows NYS to provide behavioral health services to individuals with significant mental health and substance use disorder treatment needs under our Partnership Plan.
The 34 page BH waiver amendment describes how NYS will manage the formerly carved out State Plan BH services under Medicaid Mainstream Managed Care Plans and Behavioral Health Organizations and/or through new managed care lines of business called Health And Recovery Plans (HARPs). Attachment C in the waiver amendment describes new 1915i home and community based services that will be managed by the HARPs. The third document is in question and answer format, and is in response to preliminary questions from CMS.
- Cover letter to CMS (PDF, 76KB)
- NYS Partnership Plan Behavioral Health Amendment (PDF, 449KB)
- Response to CMS Preliminary Questions on Behavioral Health 1115 Amendment (PDF, 803KB)