Medicaid Redesign Team: Payment Reform and Quality Measurement Work Group
Contact the MRT Payment Reform and Quality Measurement Work Group
Share your thoughts with the MRT Payment Reform and Quality Measurement Work Group by emailing email@example.com.
Work Group Recommendations
- MRT Payment Reform and Quality Measurement Work Group Final Recommendations (PDF, 3.52MB,72pgs.)
Work Group Mission
- The Work Group will develop a series of payment reform and quality measurement recommendations to facilitate the transformation of our health care system. To the extent practicable the Work Group will seek consistency with the reform imperatives of both the MRT Phase 1 work, as well as the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA).
- Federal health reform is commencing with a focus on the development of shared savings models, pioneer accountable care organizations, risk-sharing assumption demonstrations, clinical integration, and bundling of services and payment across traditional silos of delivery. Inherent in all of these emerging initiatives is a patient-centric focus on quality improvement and patient safety.
- In the context of the above, focused activities for the Payment Reform/Quality Measurement Work Group include:
- Recommend how New York State can encourage the development of innovative payment and delivery models. These may include: Accountable Care Organizations, Bundling, Gain Sharing, Clinical Integration, and other shared savings and/or risk-sharing arrangements.
- Explore and identify evidence-based quality indicators to benchmark New York's Medicaid program and the provider delivery system. Performance goals will also be developed to inform future Medicaid policy.
- Explore issues in the New York State Disproportionate Share Program and related indigent care funding mechanisms, including compliance with federal law and Health and Human Services/Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (HHS/CMS) requirements; consider recommendations for needed work to ensure long-term viability.
- Consider criteria that can be used to identify "safety net" providers, and the implications of such a designation on local planning, financing, care delivery, and oversight.
- Should time permit, the Work Group may also assess the implications of the product of other MRT Work Groups on: payment for workforce education, including graduate medical education; workforce shortages; IT investment; and opportunities for access to capital financing.
Work Group Members
The members of the Payment Reform and Quality Measurement work group were selected by co-chairs and MRT members Dan Sisto and William Streck, MD.
CO-CHAIR: Dan Sisto, President, Healthcare Association of NYS
CO-CHAIR: William Streck, MD, Chair, New York State Public Health and Health Planning Council
- Rick Abrams, Executive Vice President, Medical Society of the State of NY
- Elisabeth R. Benjamin, Vice President of Health Initiatives, Community Service Society
- Scott Cooper, MD, President and CEO, St. Barnabas in the Bronx
- Michael W. Cropp, MD, President and CEO, Independent Health
- Joanne Cunningham, President, Home Care Association of NYS
- Emma DeVito, President and CEO, Village Care of New York
- Paloma Izquierdo-Hernandez, MS, MPH, President & CEO, Urban Health Plan
- Sneha Jacob, M.D. M.S., Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine,Columbia University, Assistant Medical Director,New York Presbyterian System Select Health
- James R. Knickman, President and CEO, NYS Health Foundation
- Ronda Kotelchuck, Executive Director, Primary Care Development Corporation
- Phyllis Lantos, Executive Vice President and CFO,New York Presbyterian Hospital
- Art Levin, Director, Center for Medical Consumers
- Joseph McDonald, President and CEO, Catholic Health Services of Western NY
- Joseph Quagliata, President and CEO, South Nassau Communities Hospital
- Steven M. Safyer, MD, President and CEO, Montefiore Medical Center
- Susan Stuard, Executive Director, Taconic Health Information Network and Community
- James R. Tallon, Jr., President, United Hospital Fund
- Pat Wang, President and CEO, Healthfirst
- Marlene Zurack, Senior Vice President, Finance, NYC Health and Hospitals Corporation
Work Group Meetings
PLEASE NOTE: Space for meeting observers is EXTREMELY limited (first 20-25 people only – others will be turned away). Bring picture ID for access to all buildings.
A conference call phone number to dial in to listen (only) to these meetings will be posted to the MRT Web site at least one day in advance of each meeting.
The meeting scheduled for Tuesday, August 30 from 10 AM - 2 PM at the NYS Department of Health Metropolitan Regional Office has been cancelled, due to the anticipated weather conditions. Additional information on when this meeting will be rescheduled will be posted here when available.
Tuesday, September 20, 10:30 am – 3:00 pm
- Troy – NYS Department of Health Capital District Regional Office
- Saratoga Conference Room, Frear Building, One Fulton Street, Troy, NY 12180
- Minutes from September 20 Payment Reform and Quality Measurement Work Group meeting
- Minutes (PDF, 273KB, 1pg.)
- Recorded Conference Call from September 20 Payment Reform and Quality Measurement Work Group meeting
- Meeting Materials
Tuesday, September 27, 10:30 am – 3:00 pm
- Troy – NYS Department of Health
- 4th Floor Conference Room A/B, Flanigan Square, 547 River Street, Troy, NY 12180
- Minutes from September 27 Payment Reform and Quality Measurement Work Group meeting
- Minutes (PDF, 269KB, 1pg.)
- Recorded Conference Call from September 27 Payment Reform and Quality Measurement Work Group meeting
- PM Meeting (MP3, 15.7MB)
- Meeting Materials
Tuesday, October 18, 2011, 10:30 AM - 3:30 PM
- NYC - NYS Department of Health Metropolitan Area Regional Office
- 90 Church Street, 4th Floor, Conference Room A/B, Manhattan
- Minutes from October 18 Payment Reform and Quality Measurement Work Group meeting
- Minutes (PDF, 196KB, 1pg.)
- Meeting Materials:
- Recorded Conference Call from October 18 Payment Reform and Quality Measurement Work Group meeting