Press Advisory: State Health Department and Lung Association Urge New Yorkers to Get Free Flu Shots Monday, November 12
Goal to Increase Influenza Immunization Rates Among New Yorkers
The New York State Department of Health will join national public health officials and the American Lung Association at the Faces of Influenza free public vaccination clinic from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. in Manhattan on November 12 to emphasize the need for annual flu shots. National Faces of Influenza campaign spokesperson Jennifer Garner actress and mother will be receiving her flu shot to heighten awareness about steps New Yorkers can take to protect themselves from the flu.
Approximately 2,300 New Yorkers and 36,000 Americans die due to influenza and its complications every year. It is estimated that this year over 1 million New Yorkers will contract influenza. The Lung Association's Faces of Influenza campaign aims to put a "face" on influenza and, by doing so, stress the importance of annual influenza immunization throughout the fall and winter months.
- Actress Jennifer Garner, mother to a young child
- Actor Dean Cain, who starred as Superman in "Lois & Clark"
- Anne Schuchat, MD – Director of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases
- David Lynch, Immunization Program Manager, New York State Department of Health
- Jane Zucker, MD, MSc, Assistant Commissioner, Bureau of Immunization, New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
Monday, November 12 - Gotham Hall, 1356 Broadway at 36th Street, Manhattan
- 10:00 a.m.-10:30 a.m.: Media briefing with Jennifer Garner, Lung Association and health officials
- 10:30 a.m.-11:00 a.m.: Photo-ops and on-site media interviews to be coordinated
Combined with pneumonia, it is the 8th leading cause of death in the U.S. More than two-thirds of all Americans are recommended for annual vaccination but immunization rates fall far short every year, leaving many unprotected and at risk for severe illness.
The participants will be available for one-on-one interviews on November 12 by pre-arrangement only. To schedule an interview contact Dimara Almeida at (212) 886-2240.