Health Department Funds 37 Projects Statewide to Improve the Quality of Life for Nursing Home Residents
$1.5 Million Supports Long-Term Care Quality Improvement Initiative
ALBANY, N.Y. (Oct. 30, 2008) – Thirty-seven long-term care providers will share in $1.5 million in grants to improve the quality of the nursing home experience, State Health Commissioner Richard F. Daines, M.D., announced today. The Long-Term Care Quality Improvement Initiative supports projects that demonstrate sustainable improvements that benefit nursing home residents.
Awardees represent every region in the state, and include long-term care partnerships, hospitals and nursing homes.
Projects will run for a maximum of 18 months. Applicants will implement projects that improve the quality of care, the quality of life, the use of data in decision-making, and cross-provider communication and information sharing. Types of projects include culture change in the nursing home; staff education for increased responsibilities and specialized knowledge; electronic record-keeping; and enhancement of the dining, bathing, and end-of-life experiences.
Grantees were selected from 111 applications submitted pursuant to the Long Term Care Quality Improvement Initiative Request for Proposals.
"Quality of care is one of the Health Department's most imperative issues," Commissioner Daines said. "We want to raise the bar for quality for our nursing home residents. Our staff will work with the awardees to support their projects and learn which efforts most improve this stage of life for New Yorkers in full-time institutional care."
The $1.5 million awarded today includes the following entities by DOH region:
- Beechwood Health Care Center Inc.
- Absolut Care of Gasport
- Medina Memorial Hospital
Capital District Region:
- James A. Eddy Memorial Geriatric Center
- Franklin County Nursing Home
- Northwoods Rehabilitation & Extended Care at Rosewood Gardens
- Ellis Residential & Rehabilitation Center
- Adirondack Medical Center-Uihlein
- Adirondack Medical Center - Mercy
- Mountainside Residential Care Center
- Adirondack Tri-County Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Inc.
- Saratoga County Partners for Prevention
- Innovative Concepts Consulting LLC
Central New York Region
- St. Joseph Nursing Home Co. of Utica Inc.
- Lewis County General Hospital/Residential Healthcare Facility
- Carthage Area Hospital Inc.
Metropolitan Region-Long Island
- John T. Mather Memorial Hospital
- Highfield Gardens Care Center of Great Neck
- The Long Island Home (Broadlawn Manor Nursing & Rehabilitation Center)
Metropolitan Region-New Rochelle
- Sullivan County Adult Care Center
Metropolitan Region-New York City
- Schervier Nursing Care Center
- The Jewish Guild for the Blind
- Providence Rest
- Parker Jewish Institute for Health Care & Rehabilitation
- Terence Cardinal Cooke Health Care Center
- Shorefront Jewish Geriatric Center
- Menorah Home and Hospital for the Aged & Infirm
- Village Nursing Home
- Rivington House Residential Health Care Facility
- Park Avenue Health Care Management, LLC
- Eger Health Care and Rehabilitation Center
- Cabrini Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation
- Ira Davenport Memorial Hospital, SNF/HRF (DBA the Fred & Harriet Taylor Health Care Center)
- Wayne County Nursing Home
- McAuley Manor at Mercycare
- The Foundation for Quality Care Upstate
- Bethany Nursing Home and Health Related Facility