Section VI - Policies and Procedures: Recommendations for Institutions
The New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) Immunization Program recommends that each institution develop policies that describe the administration's expectations regarding immunization requirements. This document should include direction to staff members and identify who will be responsible for the different aspects of the program.
The institution's immunization policy should include the following elements:
- A general statement of intent relative to upholding and enforcing the provisions of PHL Section 2165 and Section 2167. (See Copies in Appendix A);
- Definition of a student that is consistent with the PHL Section 2165 and Section 2167 and with 10 NYCRR Subpart 66-2.1(b).
- A statement of what constitutes proof of immunity for each disease (measles, mumps, and rubella) and for meningococcal what constitutes compliance with PHL 2167 (either proof of immunization or a response form on file);
- A statement regarding what constitutes valid religious and medical exemptions;
- A statement of the institution's process for following-up on students who are in process of receiving their immunization (including referral to the local health department);
- A statement of enforcement of immunization requirements and exclusion of non-compliant students:
- A statement that designates the responsibilities of institutional personnel related to carrying out immunization policy;
- A statement about recordkeeping and record retention (including confidentiality) in regard to immunization.