Immunization Registry Law Summary
Article 21, Title 6, Section 2168 of the Public Health Law was passed during the 2006 New York State legislative session. The law states:
The Department is directed to establish an automated statewide Immunization Information System (IIS) for the following purposes:
- Beginning January 1, 2008, health care providers will be required to report to the NYSDOH all vaccines administered to persons less than 19 years of age and their immunization histories if not previously reported.
- Authorization is granted to conduct an orderly implementation and operation of the New York State Immunization Information System (NYSIIS). The Department of Health will implement a phased in approach to train and transition existing NYSIIS users, and initiate new users to the web-based application.
- Submission of accurate vaccination information to NYSIIS within 14 days of shots administered is required in a format approved by the New York State Department of Health – Bureau of Immunization.
- Persons 19 and over may be entered into NYSIIS with their signed consent.
- Authorization is granted to health care providers administering immunizations to person under 19 years of age in New York City (NYC) to continue reporting to the Citywide Immunization Registry (CIR).
- Authorization is granted to NYC to operate the CIR and exchange data with the NYSIIS.
- Authorization is granted to transfer of birth certificate information on children retroactive to January 1, 2004 to populate NYSIIS.