Health Care Provider Influenza Immunization Toolkit
Making sure health care personnel (HCP) receive annual influenza vaccinations will protect your staff and patients. HCP influenza vaccination coverage last year was about 85% in NYS healthcare facilities and agencies (about 72% nationally). Influenza vaccination of HCP has been proven to lead to:
- reductions in HCP illness.
- HCP who receive influenza vaccine report approximately 30% fewer influenza-like illnesses and use 30-50% fewer sick days.
- reductions in health care-acquired influenza.
- Up to 25% of HCP contract influenza each season.
- HCP can transmit influenza to their patients even before they know they are sick. All individuals infected with influenza are contagious for at least one day before symptoms develop.
- improved patient outcomes.
- Residents in nursing homes with high HCP vaccination levels have greater than 40% reduction in overall mortality.
The New York State Department of Health has compiled this toolkit of resources to help HCP to implement effective influenza immunization programs for their staff. This toolkit contains information to help you explain the solid science on the importance of vaccinating HCP against influenza. It also contains tools to assist in ordering, storing, and administering influenza vaccines for staff as well as your adult patients.
Table of Contents
- Healthcare Personnel (HCP) Influenza Vaccination Campaign Timeline
- Reviewing the Evidence
- Vaccine Ordering, Storage, and Handling
- Vaccine Administration
- Vaccine Documentation
- Educational Materials
- Additional Resources
Healthcare Personnel (HCP) Influenza Vaccination Campaign Timeline
- Timeline (PDF)
Reviewing the Evidence
- Definition of Health Care Personnel
- All persons employed or affiliated with a health care or residential facility or agency, whether paid or unpaid, including but not limited to employees, members of the medical and nursing staff, contract staff, students, and volunteers, who engage in activities such that if they were infected with influenza, they could potentially expose patients or residents to the disease.
- Influenza Immunization Recommendations
- Influenza Vaccination of Health-Care Personnel: Recommendations of the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC) and the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR, February 24, 2006, Vol. 55, RR-2.
- Prevention and Control of Influenza with Vaccines: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), United States, 2015–16 Influenza Season, CDC
- Immunization of Health-Care Personnel, Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), CDC, MMWR, November 25, 2011, Vol. 60, RR-7
- Infection Control in Health Care Facilities, CDC, 09/2010
- Position Statements on Influenza Immunization of Health Care Personnel
- Vaccine Virus Selection for the Influenza Season
- "Requiring influenza vaccination for health care workers: seven truths we must accept" Poland GA, Tosh P and Jacobson RM, 2005.
- Standards for Adult Immunization Practice, CDC
- Research Articles on Influenza Vaccination of Health Care Personnel
Vaccine Ordering, Storage, and Handling
- Pre-book Vaccine
- Pre-book private stock influenza vaccine (for adults and privately-insured childen) in January - February.
- Pre-booking of Vaccines for Children influenza vaccine generally occurs in summer.
- List of Flu Vaccine Distributors
- Influenza Vaccine Availability Tracking System, National Influenza Vaccine Summit
- Vaccine Storage And Handling Toolkit, Centers For Disease Control And Prevention
- Standing Orders for Administering Influenza Vaccine to Adults
- Standing Orders for Administering Pneumococcal Vaccine to Adults
- Vaccine Information Statements (VIS)
- Influenza/Pneumococcal Immunization Consent form
- Dosage, Administration, and Storage of Seasonal Influenza Vaccine
- How to Administer Intramuscular, Intradermal, and Intranasal Influenza Vaccines, Immunization Action Coalition
- How to Administer IM and SC Injections to Adults
- IAC Standing Orders for Medical Management of Vaccine Reactions in Adults
- IAC Standing Orders for Medical Management of Vaccine Reactions in Children and Teens
- Influenza Vaccine Medical Exemption Statement for Health Care Personnel - Influenza
- Declination of Influenza Vaccination for Health Care Personnel
- NYSDOH Adult Immunization Record card
- Vaccine Administration Record for Adults
- New York State Immunization Information System (NYSIIS)
- Sample Primary Care Provider Notification of Vaccination Letter
- Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS)
Influenza Educational Materials for Health Care Personnel
- NYSDOH Seasonal Influenza Educational Materials
- CDC Seasonal Influenza Print Materials
- Influenza Vaccine Flyer, Immunization Action Coalition
- Influenza Fact Sheet, National Foundation for Infectious Diseases
- PowerPoint Presentations
- Vaccination of Health Care Personnel
- NYSDOH Health Advisory: Recommendations for Vaccination of Health Care Personnel, 2016 (PDF)
- List of Institutions with Mandatory Influenza Vaccination Policies for Health Care Personnel
- Implementation Guidance – Mandatory Influenza Immunization for Health Care Personnel - Updated 9/8/15
- Influenza Vaccination Information for Health Care Workers - U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Best Practices
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Prevention Strategies for Seasonal Influenza in Healthcare Settings
- Immunization Action Coalition, Suggestions to Improve Your Immunization Services
- National Foundation for Infectious Diseases, Immunizing Health Care Personnel Against Influenza: a Report on Best Practices, 10/2007
- National Vaccine Advisory Committee, Recommendations on Strategies to Achieve the Healthy People 2020 Annual Influenza Vaccine Coverage Goal for Health Care Personnel, 2012, National Vaccine Advisory Committee
- Additional Toolkits
- Immunization Action Coalition of Washington, Influenza Immunization Toolkit
- Maryland Healthcare Personnel Immunization Initiative, 2011-2012 Toolkit
- Massachusetts Medical Society, Employee Flu Immunization Campaign Kit
- The Joint Commission, Providing a Safer Environment for Health Care Personnel and Patients through Influenza Vaccination: Strategies from Research and Practice, 06/2009
- The Joint Commission, Strategies for Improving Health Care Personnel Influenza Vaccination Rates