Bicycle Safety Toolkit
This Bicycle Safety Toolkit is provided as a guide for conducting your agency's bicycle safety program. The materials below may be used to increase community awareness and implement strategies for promoting bicycle safety.
- A sample news article with bicycle injury prevention tips that local health department staff can tailor to include county specific child bicycle data and contact information for their agency.
- Data and other information describing the problem of bicycle-related injuries in New York State for Public Health Professionals
- A list of measures health practitioners can take when talking to parents and children about preventing bicycle-related injuries
- Fact sheets that describe strategies for preventing bicycle-related injury, specifically head injuries and traumatic brain injuries
- A list of measures parents can take to promote bicycle helmet use
Bicycle Helmet Fitting Guide (PDF, 27KB, 1pg.)
- Instructions and diagrams to illustrate proper helmet fit
Child's Coloring Activity Sheet (PDF, 71KB, 1pg.)
- A coloring sheet with helmet messages to encourage kids to wear their helmet
- Information about the importance of bicycle education and the various components of training curricula
Brochures and Order Form (PDF, 49KB, 1pg.)
- A list of brochures available and an order form.
- Provides information about promoting helmet use through the "Saved by the Helmet Club" and includes member nomination application form
- A list of reputable websites that offer additional bicycle safety information