Simple Tips for Parents to Increase Helmet Use by Their Children
- 1. Have children start wearing a bicycle helmet as soon as they learn to ride a bicycle.
- 2. Wear a helmet yourself; children look to their parents to role model correct behaviors.
- 3. Explain to children the importance of wearing a helmet and how it can help them in case of a crash.
- 4. Reward children when they wear their helmets without being asked.
- 5. Let children pick out their own helmet.
- 6. Point out other people who are being safe and wearing their helmets.
- 7. Do not let children ride their bicycles unless they have their helmet on.
- 8. Remind them it's the law.