Eat Well Play Hard in Day Care Homes
Eat Well Play Hard in Day Care Homes (EWPH-DCH) is an adaptation of NYS Department of Health's successful Eat Well Play Hard in Child Care Settings (EWPHCCS) program. The goals of EWPH-DCH are to help DCH providers improve the nutrition and physical activity practices in their DCHs and communicate positive messages about eating healthy food and being physically active to children in care and their families. the EWPH-DCH pilot was designed as an educational and environmental change program with DCH providers as the primary target audience and the children and their parents as the secondary target audiences. The primary goal of the program is to help DCH providers make changes in their environments to promote healthy eating and increased physical activity for the children in their care. In particular, DCH providers are asked to focus on increasing the variety of fruits and vegetables offered at the DCH and increasing opportunities for adult-led structured play. DCH providers also are encouraged, but not required, to pursue additional goals related to improving eating habits, increasing physical activity, increasing support for breastfeeding, or decreasing screen time.
- EWPHDCH Curriculum - Sample Copy of (Unit 1), Healthy Kids, It's Up to Us. (Full Curriculum available soon, upon request.)
- Food and Nutrition Services (FNS) Core Nutrition Messages
USDA - Food and Nutrition Service (FNS), provides nutrition messages and related tips, guidance and communication tools that complement the key recommendations of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans (DGAs).
Sample parent newsletters, called Home Pages, are available below to print and share with families of children in day care homes:
- As a Parent, What Can Physical Activity Do for You? (PDF, 278KB, 1pg.)
- Break the Food Reward Habit. (PDF, 210KB, 1pg.)
- Healthy Kids Need Their Zs. (PDF, 268KB, 1pg.)
- Help Your Child Snack Smart. (PDF, 225KB, 1pg.)
- How to select, store, and use locally grown fruits. (PDF, 267KB, 3pg.)
- How to select, store, and use locally grown vegetables. (PDF, 380KB, 5pg.)
- What Should Kids Drink? (PDF, 282KB, 1pg.)
Spanish Versions of the Home Pages:
- As a Parent, What Can Physical Activity Do for You? (PDF, 301KB, 1pg.)
- Break the Food Reward Habit. (PDF, 225KB, 1pg.)
- Healthy Kids Need Their Zs. (PDF, 308KB, 1pg.)
- Help Your Child Snack Smart. (PDF, 341KB, 1pg.)
- How to select, store, and use locally grown fruits. (PDF, 512KB, 3pg.)
- How to select, store, and use locally grown vegetables. (PDF, 832KB, 5pg.)
- What Should Kids Drink? (PDF, 368KB, 1pg.)
PLEASE NOTE: The Eat Well Play Hard in Day Care Homes Curriculum and accompanying materials, including the link to the EWPH materials, are available for free to download and print for non-profit and educational use with no cost to the participant for training. The curriculums and materials may not be incorporated into other websites and may not be sold.