CACFP Policy Memo Number 129
DOH-CACFP: Number 129 (04/09); Supersedes Number 97 (07/04)
TO: CACFP Sponsors of Emergency Shelters
FROM: Lynne Oudekerk, Acting State Director - Child and Adult Care Food Program
SUBJECT: At-Risk Snacks and Suppers in Emergency Shelters
Purpose and Scope
The purpose of this policy memorandum is to inform CACFP sponsors of emergency shelters about an extension of benefit eligibility. Emergency shelters that operate afterschool care programs with education or enrichment activities for homeless children and youth are eligible for At-Risk snacks and suppers during the regular school year.
- At-Risk snack and supper are available to programs located in defined low-income areas. Emergency shelters are eligible to participate even if not located in an eligible area.
- The At-Risk snack and supper component allows emergency shelters to receive reimbursement for one snack and supper per day served to school children up to 19 years of age who participate in organized afterschool programs at the shelter. This program is available during the regular school year only.
- Reimbursement for all meals and snacks served in CACFP-participating emergency shelters, including At-Risk snacks and suppers, is provided at the free rate.
- To apply for approval to serve At-Risk snacks and suppers to children 13-19 years of age submit an Application for Participation of Teen Centers (DOH-4154).
- Sponsors of emergency shelters are referred to the following Policy Memoranda for additional information on participating in the At Risk snack and supper component of CACFP:
- PM 118 - At-Risk Afterschool Snack and Supper
- PM 98 - Participation of Emergency Shelters in CACFP
This policy memorandum extends At-Risk snack and supper benefits to shelters providing temporary housing to youth and their families.