Policy Memo 146
DOH-CACFP: Number 146 (08/10), Supersedes Number 117C (1/08)
TO: All CACFP Sponsoring Organizations of Day Care Centers
FROM: Lynne Oudekerk, State Director, Child and Adult Care Food Program
SUBJECT: Requirements for Newly Approved CACFP Programs
I. Purpose and Scope
At the time of initial approval to participate in CACFP, all Sponsoring Organizations are required to meet the program requirements outlined below.
II. Background Information
- Complete the enclosed Press Release (CACFP-3670) and submit it to the media. Sponsoring Organizations are required to submit a press release to the media at the time they start to participate in CACFP. After that, CACFP will include your institution in the statewide media release it issues every year. Request that the Press Release be published as a public service announcement so that your organization does not get charged for its publication. Your obligation is to request that it be printed; you have no obligation to confirm that it was printed.
- Sponsoring Organizations that operate two or more CACFP-participating centers at different locations are required to notify parents or guardians at each participating center that they participate in CACFP and describe the benefits of CACFP participation. This requirement does not apply to adult centers.
- Provide the enclosed "Building for the Future" flyer to families of all currently enrolled children. When new children enroll in your center, provide new families with this flyer.
- Use the enclosed CACFP order form (CACFP-3718) to order as many flyers as needed. CACFP will print your organization's contact information at the bottom of the flyer for you. This flyer is available in many languages.
- Sponsoring Organizations of centers that care for children under the age of six must provide information regarding the benefits of the WIC program to parents or guardians of enrolled children.
- Provide the enclosed "Find Out More About WIC" pamphlet to families of all currently enrolled children each year.
- Use the enclosed CACFP order form (CACFP-3718) to order as many pamphlets as you need. This pamphlet is available in English and Spanish.
III. Summary of Changes
This memorandum provides information on CACFP requirements for notifying the public and families of the Sponsor's participation in CACFP.