Policy Memo 172H
DOH-CACFP: Number 172H (03/14)
TO: CACFP Sponsoring Organizations of Day Care Homes
FROM: Sandra Rhoades, Director, Homes Administration Unit, Child and Adult Care Food Program
SUBJECT: Civil Rights Training
I. Purpose and Scope
The United States Department of Agriculture FNS Instruction 113-1 (Appendix B) mandates that organizations participating in the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) provide Civil Rights training. This training must be provided annually to all Sponsor-level staff and participating day care home staff. The purpose of this memorandum is to provide a summary of Sponsor responsibilities regarding Civil Rights and a training tool for implementation of this new requirement.
II. Background Information
- Civil Rights regulations are intended to ensure that benefits of CACFP are made available to all eligible people. This includes making every effort in recruitment and enrollment procedures to allow equal participation by all eligible and potential persons regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability.
- CACFP has developed two online presentations to meet Civil Rights training requirements. There is one online training available for Sponsor staff and a separate training for day care home staff.
Day care home staff includes:
- On-site Providers
- Assistants and other employees
A Sponsor's responsibility is to ensure equal access to the program, collect racial and ethnic data, provide reasonable accommodations, provide language assistance and know the process for handling complaints. Sponsor staff must complete their Civil Rights training via the CACFP Adobe® Connect™ Training Website. Sponsors are responsible for conducting and maintaining documentation showing all staff in participating day care homes have received their Civil Rights training.
III. Procedure for Accessing the Training
- Sponsor Training Instructions: To access the 20-minute training for Sponsor staff (coordinators, family child care directors, administrative staff, monitors, bookkeeper, etc.) Sponsor will use the following link to access the CACFP Adobe® Connect™ Training Website.
The login name is your email address. If you have forgotten your password, use the "Forgot your password?" option. If you do not have an CACFP Adobe® Connect™ Training Website account, please email CACFPadmin@health.state.ny.us or call 1-800-942-3858 and select Option 2 to request an account.
The Civil Rights Training for Sponsor/State Staff will be located in your "My Training" tab. Your attendance at this training will be documented electronically once you have completed the entire presentation online. If you would like paper documentation of your attendance, you have the option to print a "Certificate of Completion" at the end of the training.
CACFP day care home Sponsor staff must complete their training by May 30, 2014.
- Day Care Home Staff Training Instructions: This training is a shorter version of the Sponsor training and can be accessed by using the following link:
Day care home staff can view the training by themselves from an individual computer or the Sponsor can show the presentation to staff in a group setting or as part of a meeting.
Sponsors are responsible for documenting who completed the training, whether done individually or in a group. When training is conducted in a group setting, a sign-in sheet with those who attended, including the date and topic, must be kept on file. If day care home staff complete the training at home, they must print a "Certificate of Completion" and give a copy to their Sponsor for documentation of attendance.
If you have any questions please call your CACFP Nutritionist at 1-800-942-3858 and select Option 3.
Attachment: CACFP-156H, CACFP Training Requirements