||Specific Focus Area
||Strategies and/or Interventions
||Nathan Littauer Hospital
||Reduce childhood asthma hospitalizations
||Between January and June 2010, a taskforce of stakeholders from the community and healthcare fields will be assembled. Utilizing pre-existing Department of Health programs for asthma control and tobacco cessation, it will develop an action plan that will start June 2010, to address prevention and control education. The anticipated target groups will be pregnant and parenting families and children with asthma.
||Nathan Littauer Hospital
- Oneida Healthcare Center
- Community Memorial Hospital
- Conduct radon awareness campaign
- Encourage participation in 1st Time Homebuyers Course
- Raise awareness of environmental issues including radon, individual sewage disposal systems and water supplies, drinking water quality, lead paint hazards, mold and indoor air concerns, rabies, and mosquito-borne diseases
- Community organizations
- Community Action Program
- DeGraff Memorial Hospital(Kaleida)
- Eastern Niagara Hospital
- Mount Saint Mary’s Hospital
- Niagara Falls Memorial Medical Center
- Conduct a primary prevention childhood lead program focusing on housing in the City of Niagara Falls in order to achieve a lead-safe and lead-free housing stock.
- Provide parent education at WIC sites and health fairs.
- Provide educational home visits to families whose residences will be inspected using Primary Prevention Grant guidelines.
- Meet with pediatric and family health care providers to provide education and review patient records to determine the number of children who have been adequately tested.
- Provide “point of care” lead testing equipment to at least four pediatric health care providers.
- Provide in-service education to licensed and registered child care providers and community service agency staff.
- Develop cable broadcast.
- Use local newspapers, cable TV, and newsletter to communicate messages.
- Complete pre-survey informational report about sources of exposure, dwelling and number of children.
- Provide educational brochures during home inspection due to case follow-up or inspections during primary prevention activities.
- Include education in letters of notice and demand to owners of homes requiring remediation.
- City of Niagara Falls Building Inspections Department
- Niagara Falls Community Development Corporation
- Niagara Falls Housing Authority
- Niagara Community Action Program
- Environmental Education Associates
- Department of Social Services
- Home Depot
- Value Home Centers
- Center City Development Corporation
- Nyack Hospital
- Good Samaritan Hospital
- Promote environmental changes which support healthier behaviors and reduce risk of disease.
- Explore opportunities to address policies which support good health at worksites and in the community through changes in built environment.
- Encourage and support green projects.