Graduate Programs in Public Health
The Master of Public Health (M.P.H.) degree requires that students take coursework that focuses on core areas of public health as well as courses in a specific area. Options include epidemiology, health policy and management, health administration, behavioral sciences and health education, environmental health, biostatistics, biomedical sciences, and global health. The Master of Public Health degree usually takes two years to complete, and is intended to prepare students to be public health practitioners.
Other options that prepare students for working in the field include the Doctor of Public Health (Dr.P.H.), Master of Health Education (M.H.E.), and Master of Health Administration (M.H.A.) degrees. Degrees like a Master of Science (M.S.) or Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) are intended to prepare students for more academic and research-focused work in the public health field.
Throughout the U.S., there are 38 accredited graduate schools of public health. (For more information on these schools and accreditation, please visit The Association of Schools of Public Health and The Council on Education for Public Health's Web sites). New York State is home to three of these schools as well as one school seeking accreditation. There are also seven accredited public health programs in New York. While all of these schools and programs offer a Master of Public Health degree, some also offer Master of Science, Doctor of Public Health and other degrees in a variety of disciplines.
Many graduate schools and programs require the following as part of an application:
- Undergraduate transcripts
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or certain other standardized test scores
- Three letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
- TOEFL scores (for international applicants)
Use the links below to visit school and program Web sites to find out more about specific application procedures and requirements.
Graduate Schools of Public Health
- Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health
- New York Medical College School of Public Health
- University at Albany School of Public Health
- University at Buffalo School of Public Health and Health Professions
Graduate Programs of Public Health
- Brooklyn College, City University of New York Department of Health and Nutrition Sciences
- Hunter College, City University of New York MPH Program in Urban Public Health
- Mount Sinai School of Medicine MPH Program
- New York University Community Public Health Program
- State University of New York - Downstate Medical Center MPH Program
- State University of New York - Stony Brook Graduate Program in Public Health