ECRIP Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Please note that the information provided below shall take precedence over any other written or verbal instructions related to ECRIP abstracts submitted to the New York State Department of Health.

1. Should teaching hospitals utilize the Health Commerce System (HCS) to submit an ECRIP abstract to DOH as we have done in the past?

No, DOH is not using the HCS for this current submission cycle. All abstracts should be submitted electronically to DOH using the following email address:

2. Will DOH extend the submission period for all teaching hospitals or at the request of any specific hospital?

No, the submission deadline will not be extended for any hospital. The due date remains as 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, October 16, 2014.

3. May a teaching hospital submit more than one Individual or Center abstract?

A teaching hospital may submit only one Individual project. If the hospital elects to submit a Center project, it may submit a primary and a secondary project and split their award between the two projects. The secondary project will only be supported if: (a) the hospital receives an award of $400,000 or more in State funding; and (b) both the primary and secondary projects meet all program requirements.

4. Please provide program guidance as to whether or not a teaching hospital should submit a secondary Center project.

Teaching hospitals that submit a secondary Center project and meet the program requirements for both the primary and secondary projects can have their award split between these two projects if the hospital receives $400,000 or more in annual State funding. This is not extra funding for an institution, just the ability to split their award between two research themes.

Teaching hospitals may wish to submit a secondary Center project if they believe they will not be able to support between four and nine research fellows under one theme in the institution. Each fellow will require: (a) direct supervision from a qualified sponsor/mentor throughout the two years of the project; (b) direct and indirect support within the department/institution to conduct and report on the research; and (c) support to complete formalized training in clinical research.

If the hospital's primary project does not meet the program requirements, then the secondary project will not be funded either. If the primary project meets the program requirement and the secondary project does not, then the full award will be applied to the primary project.

5. Can an individual physician submit an abstract directly to DOH?

Yes, only if that individual physician is authorized to submit an abstract on behalf of the teaching hospital. Please check with the hospital's ECRIP principal contact, hospital CEO/Administrator, Designated Institutional Official (DIO) or medical director.

6. Should abstracts include letters of support other than the letter of commitment for matching funds?

No, these letters serve no purpose within the program requirements. However, if a Center project is submitted, a letter from the institution is required demonstrating their commitment of $100,000, per year, to the project; it must identify the source of these funds - as noted in the Abstract Outline.

7. Please provide program guidance on how much Center funding to request in the budget.

Teaching hospitals cannot request a certain amount of funding for a Center project. Funding amounts will be determined by DOH depending on the number of projects that meet the program requirements and the availability of funding for Center projects after Individual awards are determined. Budgets are not to be submitted at this time for either an Individual or Center project. Budgets will be reviewed as part of the start-up process after awards are made.

8. Can an abstract include tables and charts?

Yes, but all information will be included in the word limits.

9. Are junior faculty members eligible to be the research fellows?

Yes, provided they meet the program requirements. See Paragraph 1. (a) (3) of the draft proposed regulations for clarification.

10. Must the research fellow have attended medical school or GME in New York State?

A research fellow must: (a) be enrolled or have completed a graduate medical education program, (b) be a United States or Canadian citizen or national, or be a permanent resident of the United States or Canada; and (c) ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:

  • be a graduate of a medical, dental or podiatric school located in New York State
  • be a graduate of or resident in a graduate medical education program where the sponsoring institution is located in New York State
  • reside in New York State by October, 2014