Occupational Exposure to HIV
Ryan White Act
The federal Ryan White HIV/AIDS Treatment Extension Act of 2009 was signed into law on October 30, 2009. Part G of this act reinstated previous provisions for notification of possible exposure of emergency responders to infectious diseases. This page will provide important information concerning the implementation of new law.
- March 4, 2010, Emergency Responders Access to Confidential HIV-Related Information in Cases of Potential Occupational Exposure (PDF, 47KB, 1pg.)
The provisions of the Ryan White Act that allowed first responders to access HIV status test results in cases of occupational exposure were dropped in the 2006 re-authorization of the Act. Below are letters that were sent to EMS agencies, hospitals and local health departments explaining New York State regulations that can be used in place of the former Ryan White first responder legislation. These regulations, found in NYCRR Title 10, Section 63.8, allow first responders, with physician review and recommendation, to gain access to HIV exposure information. A training presentation that will walk you through the changes is available.
- August 1, 2008 - Letter to First Responders: New York State Provisions for Sharing of Confidential Information in Cases of Potential Occupational Exposure to HIV
- August 1, 2008 - Letter to Hospitals: New York State Provisions for Sharing of Confidential Information in Cases of Potential Occupational Exposure of Emergency Responders to HIV
- August 1, 2008 - Letter to Local Health Departments: Emergency Responders' Access to Confidential Health Information in Cases of Potential Occupational Exposure to HIV
- October 2008 - Update letter to Infection Control Practitioners (PDF, 502KB, 12pg)
- HIV Exposure: What Emergency Response Agencies Need to Know About Accessing Information (PPT, 381KB, 18 slides)
- Post Exposure Algorithm (PDF, 17KB, 1pg)
- Emergency Responder Access to HIV-Related Information of Source Patient: Past and Present (PDF, 20KB, 1pg.)
- Emergency Responder Access to HIV-Related Information of Source Patient Frequently Asked Questions (PDF, 26KB, 3pg.)
- 10 NYCRR section 63.8: Contact Notification