Course Administration Information
Where You Can Take a Course to Become Certified as an EMS Provider
Pre-Hospital Care Provider Student Reference Guide Information
- Pre-Hospital Care Provider Student Reference Guide
As of May 2012, the Student Reference Guide will no longer be updated.
Instructors may utilize any portion of the Guide that is pertinent under the current Education Standards.
Instructor Training Information
Resource Listing for Course Sponsors
Certified Instructor Coordinator
- CIC Course Curriculum (PDF, 281KB)
- CIC Internship Tracking Form (PDF, 121KB)
- CIC Quick Reference Guide (PDF, 34KB)
Certified Lab Instructor
Forms Used in EMS Education
- Certified First Responder (CFR)
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
- EMT Pratical Skills Exam Sheet (For all courses testing on or after December 20, 2012) (PDF, 106KB)
- Module 5 - Amputation t1- Update (Effective August 1, 2011) (PDF, 13KB)
- Module 5 Update (Effective August 1, 2011) (PDF, 133KB)
- Basic Course Curriculum
- EMT Clinical Rotation Guide (PDF, 45KB)
- Refresher Course Curriculum
- EMT Practical Skill Stations Update (Effective August 1, 2011) (PDF, 30KB)
- Advanced Emergency Medical Technician - Intermediate (AEMT-I)
- Advanced Emergency Medical Technician - Critical Care (AEMT-CC)
- Advanced Emergency Medical Technician - Paramedic (AEMT-P)
EMS Education and Certification Forms
- AEMT Rapid Recertification Administrative Manual (PDF, 25KB)
- DOH-89 Certified Class List for Ancillary EMS Training Courses (PDF, 54KB)
- DOH-80 Notice of Course Cancellation (PDF, 11KB)
- DOH-263 Course Memorandum (PDF, 50KB)
- DOH-743 Instructor Information Sheet (PDF, 14KB)
- DOH-2423 Lab Instructor Audit Report (PDF, 620KB)
- DOH-2424 Didactic Presentation Audit Report (PDF, 44KB)
- DOH-2733 Final Practical Skills Examination Summary Sheet (PDF, 367KB)
- DOH-3377 CIC Internship Completion Report (PDF, 36KB)
- DOH-3378 CLI Internship Completion Report (PDF, 38KB)
- DOH-4451 CLI Internship Tracking Form (PDF, 121KB)
- DOH-4452 CIC Internship Tracking Form (PDF, 121KB)
- DOH-65 Application for Emergency Medical Services Certification (PDF, 60KB)
- DOH-79 Students Ineligible To Take The State Certifying Examination (PDF, 65KB)
- DOH-2260 Application for Instructor Certification (PDF, 79KB)
- DOH-3312 Verification of Membership in A NYS EMS Agency (PDF, 18KB)
- DOH-3379 Medical Director's Certification of AEMT Course Completion (PDF, 30KB)
- DOH-3508 Application for Instructor Recertification (PDF, 116KB)
- DOH-4010 Application for AEMT Rapid Recertification (PDF, 53KB)
- DOH-4245 Registration For Emergency Medical Technicians' Exam, Test Scheduling Request (PDF, 60KB)
- DOH-4260 Registration For On-Site Scored NYS Written Certification Exams (PDF, 167KB)
- DOH-4281 Certification Extension for Military Personnel (PDF, 18KB)
- DOH-4453 Duplicate Card Request (PDF, 136KB)
Americans With Disabilities Act
Q: I have a learning disability in the area of reading comprehension/reading decoding. Am I eligible for testing modifications during my CFR/EMT/AEMT course?
A: Maybe. Please contact your Certified Instructor Coordinator (CIC) or Course Sponsor Administrator for more information on their Americans with Disabilities Act policies and procedures.
Q: I am unable to perform a patient assessment or apply a traction splint on the floor due to a physical disability. Can I have my evaluator move the patient from the floor to a table during my NYS EMS Practical Skills Exam in order to perform the assessment or apply the traction splint during my random skills station?
A: No. There are no testing modifications/accommodations permitted at the NYS DOH BEMS Practical Skills Exam as the ability to bend, stoop and crawl is an essential function of a certified EMS provider in the State of New York. However, use of aids that can be brought to the patient's side (i.e. amplified stethoscope) may be utilized with the prior knowledge of the Practical Skills Examination Coordinator.
Q: I have a learning disability in the area of reading comprehension/reading decoding and received testing modifications during high school. Am I eligible for testing modifications during my NYS DOH BEMS written certification exam?
A: Maybe. A copy of your most recent Individualized Education Program or standardized psycho-educational assessment (including test scores) should be forwarded with a written and signed request for the testing modifications to NYS EMS at 875 Central Avenue, Albany, NY 12206-1388 at least eight weeks prior the NYS DOH BEMS written certification exam. Please note that NYS DOH BEMS does not grant or allow for readers at the NYS DOH BEMS written certification exam due to the fact that the ability to function independently is an essential function of a certified EMS provider in the State of New York.
- 00-10 Functional Position Description EMT/AEMT (PDF, 101KB)
- 00-09 Functional Position Description - CFR (PDF, 98KB)