NYS DOH Designated Stroke Centers
The Commissioner of Health is pleased to inform you that it is the intent of the Department of Health to establish State designated stroke centers statewide to improve the standard and access to quality of care for patients with a presumptive diagnosis of stroke. The Emergency Medical Services community will play an important role in the implementation of these stroke centers similar to the important role you now fill with state designated trauma centers.
The Bureau of EMS in collaboration with the DOH State Hospital Review and Planning Council will be posting on this page a list of currently approved NYS DOH Designated Stroke Centers. The Stroke Centers are also tasked with the obligation of communicating with the EMS community their new designation as a Stroke Center as well as conducting and supporting EMS Continuing Medical Education with regards to stroke. The Regional EMS Council serving your county will also play a role in education, implementation, and general communications with EMS agencies with regards to new Stroke Centers in your area. Please visit this web page often to see if a hospital in your area has been designated as a Stroke Center.
The Bureau of EMS will also be providing, to each NYS BEMS Certified EMS Agency, a CME CD-Rom developed by the American Heart Association to assist agencies in the training of their EMS providers in stroke education.
A new version of the NYS EMT/AEMT BLS Stroke Protocol has been issued by the Bureau of EMS. The new Stroke Protocol can be found by clicking on: NYS BLS Stroke Protocol . The new protocol replaces all previous versions of the Stroke Protocol. The first two pages of this new protocol is a cover letter with further information pertaining to the protocol and its implementation. The new protocol is in effect now. Please print the new protocol and place it in your protocol manual in-place of the previous version.
Approved NYS DOH Designated Stroke Centers (By Regional EMS Council)
- Adirondack Appalachian Regional EMS Council
- Big Lakes NY Regional EMS Council
- Central NY Regional EMS Council
- Erie-Wyoming Regional EMS Council
- Finger Lakes Regional EMS Council
- Hudson Mohawk Regional EMS Council
- Hudson Valley Regional EMS Council
- Mid-State Regional EMS Council
- Monroe-Livingston Regional EMS Council
- Nassau Regional EMS Council
- New York City Regional EMS Council
- Nicholas H. Noyes Memorial Hospital Regional EMS Council
- Southern Tier Regional EMS Council
- Suffolk Regional EMS Council
- Susquehanna Regional EMS Council
- Westchester County Regional EMS Council