Electronic Prescribing of Controlled Substances
Mandatory Electronic Prescribing Effective Date Extended to March 27, 2016
On March 13, 2015, Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and the New York State Legislature amended the Public Health Law and the Education Law to extend the implementation date for mandatory electronic prescribing to March 27, 2016.
Although this amendment extends the effective date of mandated electronic prescribing, e-prescribing of both controlled and non-controlled substances is currently permissible in New York. Practitioners must continue their efforts to become compliant with the requirement, including working with their software vendors to implement the additional security requirements needed for e-prescribing of controlled substances, and registering their certified software applications with the Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement.
Information regarding e-prescribing may be accessed at the following links:
Amendments to Title 10 NYCRR Part 80 Rules and Regulations on Controlled Substances have been adopted and became effective as final regulations on March 27, 2013. The amendments authorize a practitioner to issue an electronic prescription for controlled substances in Schedules II through V and allow a pharmacist to accept, annotate, dispense and electronically archive such prescriptions.
- Information regarding e-prescribing of non-controlled substances – NYSED
- New York State Regulations related to Electronic Prescribing of Controlled Substances
- Specific regulations pertaining to issuing electronic prescriptions for controlled substances may be accessed in 10 NYCRR 80.64
- U.S Department of Justice DEA Office of Diversion Control website.
- NYS Education Department regulations
- FAQs (PDF, 242KB) - Updated April 2015 - New FAQ's see Questions 11-19, 40, 109-111
Practitioner Registration for EPCS
If you have met all federal security requirements and would like to register the application with the Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement, access the online application called ROPES.
Physician Assistant Registration for EPCS
- Physician Assistant EPCS Registration (DOH-5121) (PDF, 89KB)
- Instructions for Physician Assistant EPCS registration form
Hospital Registration for EPCS
- Online registration process for hospitals (ROPES)
- Electronic Prescribing Important Notification to Hospitals — February 2015 (PDF, 237KB)
Pharmacy Registration for EPCS
If you have met all federal security requirements and would like to register the application with the Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include "Electronic Prescribing" in the subject.