Family Health Plus
To provide comprehensive health care coverage to uninsured adults with limited income and resources. Resources include money in the bank or credit union, stocks, bonds, mutual funds, certificates of deposit, money market accounts, 401K plans, trust funds, the cash value of life insurance, motor vehicles, or property that someone owns.
- Adults, ages 19 through 64, who are New York State residents
- Must not be eligible for Medicaid
- Must have no health insurance
- Income and resources must fall within the maximum allowable level for the family size
- Some other limitations may apply. The local social service district office in your county of residence determines eligibility.
Family Health Plus is offered statewide through managed care plans. Family Health Plus provides comprehensive health insurance coverage, including:
- Physician services
- Inpatient and outpatient hospital care
- Prescription drugs and smoking cessation products
- Lab tests and x-rays
- Vision, speech and hearing services
- Rehabilitative services (some limits apply)
- Durable medical equipment
- Emergency room and emergency ambulance services
- Drug, alcohol and mental health treatment (some limits apply)
- Diabetic supplies and equipment
- Radiation therapy, chemotherapy and hemodialysis
- Hospice services
- Dental services (if offered by the health plan)
There are no costs to join Family Health Plus and there are no deductibles or yearly fees once you are enrolled. You may be asked to pay part of the costs of some medical care/service. This is called a co-payment or co-pay.
Help with Enrollment
Application assistance is available through some health plans and community-based organizations. If you would like someone to assist you in applying for Family Health Plus, there are enrollers in your community who can help. These enrollers will help you fill out the application, collect the necessary documents, and select a health plan. In many cases, assistance is available during evenings and weekends. You may also apply directly at your local social service district office.
For Help and More Information
For the nearest location where you can receive application assistance, please call the New York State Health Department's Family Health Plus Hotline 1-877-9FHPLUS (1-877-934-7587) or visit the Family Health Plus website: www.health.ny.gov/nysdoh/fhplus/how_can_i_apply.htm