Model for Improvement - Set Aims
An Aim is a statement of purpose that describes the improvement goals in time-specific, quantitative measurable terms with the context of a specific population.
The three community pilot project used two tools to develop and refine their Aim statements:
Clinton County Aim Statement
- Achieve a 5 percent increase in the choice of fresh fruit, vegetarian options and healthier alternatives as part of a reimbursable meal in three different school cafeterias by June 2010.
Franklin County Team Aim Statement
- Increase overall number of lunches sold by 10 percent at Petrova School by the end of 2010-2011 school year.
- Increase number of free and reduced lunches sold by 10 percent by the end of 2010-2011 school year.
- Increase the number of adult lunches sold at Petrova School by at least 10 percent by the end of the 2010-2011 school year.
- Replace at least 10 percent of the monthly menu with healthier items by the end of the 2010-2011 school year.
Schenectady County Team Aim Statement
- The Martin Luther King Elementary School will develop an indoor walking track and increase the physical activity of at least 50 percent of fourth grade students and teachers/staff by at least 20 minutes per week for six weeks over a 10-week period. The results will inform the feasibility of increasing the physical activity of students and teachers in the other grades in the next school year.
Adapted from: Institute for Healthcare Improvement, How to Improve - Improvement Methods at http://www.ihi.org/IHI/Topics/Improvement/ImprovementMethods/HowToImprove/