New York State
Environmental Public Health Tracker
- Track Asthma Hospitalizations
- View the number and rate of asthma hospitalizations on maps, graphs, and tables. Find more about the symptoms, causes and control of asthma.
- Asthma hospital discharge data
- Provides asthma hospital discharge rates from the Statewide Planning and Research Cooperative System (SPARCS), a database containing information about all hospitalizations in NY State. Rates are rates per 10,000 persons. Includes information about asthma hospital discharge data.
Data type: Hospital discharges
Data source: SPARCS
Timeframe: For state, region and county, annual data for 3 years with average annual rate, updated annually. For ZIP Code, 3-year totals with average annual rate, updated annually.
Geographic coverage: NY State, region, county, ZIP code (tables and maps)
Comments: Data are numbers of hospitalizations, so if these data are used to examine the number of people with asthma, double counting may occur when the same person has multiple hospitalizations. Also, people who are hospitalized with asthma represent only a portion of people with asthma.
- Asthma deaths and death rates
- Provides data from death certificates where primary reason for death was asthma. Mortality rates are per 1,000,000 persons. Both non-adjusted and adjusted rates are presented, with rates adjusted using the 2000 U.S. Standard Population. Includes information about asthma deaths and death rates data.
Data source: Vital Records, Bureau of Biometrics and Health Statistics
Timeframe: Annual data for 3 years with average annual rate, updated annually.
Geographic coverage: NY State, region, county (tables and maps)
- Adult asthma prevalence
- Information from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS), an annual statewide telephone surveillance system designed by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that monitors factors contributing to the leading causes of illness, injury and mortality. New York State's BRFSS sample represents the non-institutionalized adult household population, aged 18 years and older.
Data source: BRFSS
Timeframe: Annual Data
Geographic coverage: NY State
Comments: There are potential sources of error associated with a telephone survey. People without telephone service or who live in non-residential settings such as military bases or nursing homes are not included. Since estimates are based on results from a sample of the population that is interviewed, sampling error may also be an issue.
National and State
- Asthma – National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) FastStats
- Provides information on asthma in the U.S. from surveys such as the National Asthma Survey and the National Health Interview Survey. Mortality data are also provided.
- Prevalence and Trends Data – Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS)
- This CDC web page allows the user to query BRFSS to obtain asthma prevalence by year for participating states.