|<< Previous Data Element||Inpatient Output Table of Contents||Next Data Element >>|
|Data Element Name: Other Diagnosis Code 1 - 14||File Location: Master, De-Identified, De-Identified Abbreviated|
|SPARCS Data Element Number: 69|
|Record Positions: See Group Definition||Format-Length: A/N - 6|
|Effective Date: 1/1/1994||Revision Date: January 1999|
|Deniable Data Element: No|
Other Diagnoses include all conditions that coexisted at the time of admission, or developed subsequently, which affected the treatment received and/or length of stay. Diagnoses that relate to an earlier episode which had no bearing on the current hospital stay were excluded.
Conditions should have been coded that affected patient care in terms of requiring: clinical evaluation, therapeutic treatment, diagnostic procedures, extended length of hospital stay, or increased nursing care and/or monitoring.Codes and Values:
- Must have been a valid ICD-9-CM code excluding the decimal point. To have
been valid, ICD-9-CM codes must have been entered at the most specific level to which
they are classified in the ICD-9-CM Tabular List. Three-digit codes further divided
at the four-digit level must have been entered using all four digits. Four-digit codes
further subclassified at the five-digit level must have been entered using all five
digits. Failure to enter all required digits in the diagnosis codes would have caused
the record to be rejected.
- Must have been left justified and entered exactly as shown in the ICD-9-CM coding
reference, excluding the decimal point, and space filled.
- Only E-codes in the range of E930.0 thru E949.9 are valid as Other Diagnosis
Codes. Other E-codes are to be reported in External Cause-of-Injury Code
(Data Element 77) and
(Data Element 78). Prior to 1990 and after December 1, 1998, additional E-codes
could have been reported as valid Other Diagnosis Codes.
- If this field was not applicable, it must have contained blanks.
- Edits pertaining to ICD-9-CM codes are validated on the basis of the
(Data Element 6 & 7) and Expected Principal Reimbursement
(Data Element 28)
depending on conditions described in
Appendix N, which includes age-specific
and sex-specific diagnosis code conditions.
- When the edit flag on the ICD-9-CM reference file for an "unacceptable
principal/primary diagnosis without and secondary diagnosis" was applicable for the
Principal/Primary Diagnosis Code
(Data Element 68), an Other Diagnosis Code 1 must have also been reported.
- Diagnosis codes reported in the range of 800.00-999.99 required the
reporting of a valid External Cause-of-Injury Code
(Data Element 77)
unless listed as an exception in
- If an Other Diagnosis Code 1-14 was reported, the corresponding Present on Admission Indicator (Data Element 70) must have also been reported.