|<< Previous Data Element||Inpatient Output Table of Contents||Next Data Element >>|
|Data Element Name: Place-of-Injury Code||File Location: Master, De-Identified, De-Identified Abbreviated|
|SPARCS Data Element Number: 78|
|Record Positions: 1682 - 1687||Format-Length: A/N - 6|
|Effective Date: 1/1/1994||Revision Date: January 1999|
|Deniable Data Element: No|
The code which identifies the place where the injury reported in External Cause-of-Injury Code (Data Element 77) occurred.Codes and Values:
- External Place-of-Injury Codes in the range of E849.0 - E849.9 were the only valid
- Must have been a valid ICD-9-CM "E" code excluding the decimal point. To have
been valid, the code must have been entered at the most specific level classified
in the ICD-9-CM Tabular List. Three-digit codes further divided to the four-digit
level must have been entered using all four digits plus the prefix letter "E". Failure
to enter the prefix "E" and all required digits would have caused the record to reject.
- Must have been left justified including the prefix letter "E" and all digits
exactly as shown in the ICD-9-CM coding reference excluding the decimal point, and
- If this field was not applicable, it contains blanks.
- Must have been reported when External Cause-of-Injury Code
(Data Element 77)
was in the range of E850.0 - E869.9 or E880.0 - E928.9.
- Prior to 1990, E-codes were reported in the Other Diagnosis Code 1-14
field (Data Element 69)
- After December 1, 1998, additional E-codes may have been reported in the Other Diagnosis Code 1-14 field (Data Element 69)