|<< Previous Data Element||Inpatient Output Table of Contents||Next Data Element >>|
|Data Element Name: Age||File Location: Master, De-Identified, De-Identified Abbreviated|
|SPARCS Data Element Number: 94|
|Record Positions: 1793 - 1795||Format-Length: N - 3|
|Effective Date: 1/1/1994||Revision Date: January 1997|
|Deniable Data Element: No|
The patient's age calculated as of the date of admission.Codes and Values:
- Right justified, zero filled.
- For a patient under one year of age or a newborn, age = "000".
- Not applicable, calculated by SPARCS based on Patient Birth Date
(Data Element 11)
and Admission Date/Start of Care
(Data Element 5).
- There were multiple relationship edits between age-specific diagnosis
codes and Age as defined by the Age-specific indicator in the ICD-9-CM reference
file obtained from HCIA.
- Certain diagnosis codes have been identified as age exceptions. When these codes are reported in conflict with existing age-specific edits a warning message was returned to the submitter and the Age Warning Flag (Date Element 112) was set.