|<< Previous Data Element||Outpatient Output Table of Contents||Next Data Element >>|
|Data Element Name: Ambulatory Surgery Services Date (Discharge Date)|
|SPARCS Data Element Number: 6|
|Record Positions: 53 - 60||Format-Length: N - 8|
|Effective Date: 1/1/1995||Revision Date: January 1998|
The date when the patient received outpatient ambulatory surgery services. This date includes days spent in observation status.Codes and Values:
- YYYY MM DD = Year Month Day
- Must have been a valid date in accordance with the Date Edit Validation Table in Appendix A.
- Must have been on or before the Date Processed
(Data Element 71).
- Must have been on or after the opening date, and on or before the closing date, of a
hospital-based ambulatory surgery service or free-standing ambulatory surgery center
as specified in the SPARCS Hospital Profile Reference File maintained by the SPARCS
- Must not have been prior to Patient Birth Date
(Data Element 10).
- Ambulatory Surgery Only:
Must have been on or within three days of Admission Date/Start of Care (Data Element 5).
Note: The three days takes into consideration any observation time that would be allowable for Medicare payment of an ambulatory surgery service.
- Emergency Department Only:
Must have been on or within four (4) days of the Admission/Start of Care Date (Data Element 5).
Note: The four days takes into consideration the observation time that would be allowable for payment of an emergency department visit.
- For data years prior to 1995, if the Admission Hour was less than the Discharge Hour, the Date of Service was used to populate this field. If the Admission Hour was not less than the Discharge Hour the Date of Service plus one day was used to populate this field, accommodating for month and year end changes. For data years after 1997, the Statement-Covers-Thru Date was used to populate this field.