|<< Previous Data Element||Outpatient Output Table of Contents||Next Data Element >>|
|Data Element Name: Patient Birth Date|
|SPARCS Data Element Number: 10|
|Record Positions: 66 - 73||Format-Length: N - 8|
|Effective Date: 1/1/1994||Revision Date: December 1996|
The date of the Patient birth.Codes and Values:
- YYYY MM DD = Year Month Day
- Must have been a valid date in accordance with the Date Edit Validation Table in Appendix A.
- The age, calculated as the difference between the Patient Birthdate and the
Admission Date/Start of Care
(Data Element 5), must have been less than 125.
- Cannot have been after Admission Date/Start of Care (Data Element 5).
- For data years prior to 1994, if the Birthdate was after the Date of Service, the Birthdate was considered invalid. Zeros were entered in this field and spaces were entered in Calculated Age (Data Element 69). There were a few records with birth dates in the 1860s and 1870s which were kept, and the ages calculated accordingly.