|<< Previous Data Element||Outpatient Output Table of Contents||Next Data Element >>|
|Data Element Name: Patient Postal Service Zip Code and Extension Code|
|SPARCS Data Element Number: 28|
|Record Positions: 205 - 213||Format-Length: A/N - 5
A/N - 4
|Effective Date: 1/1/1994||Revision Date: September 2005|
The Zip Code and Extension assigned by the Postal Service to the Patient principal residence at the time of admission for the outpatient service.Codes and Values:
- For United States residences, this data element is divided into a five-character zip
code and a four-digit extension code. For Canadian residences, this Data Element is
defined as a six character zip code and three character filler.
- Must have been left justified with no embedded blanks and space filled. In cases where
only a five-digit code was entered, the remaining four positions must have been space
"XXXXX" = Unknown
"YYYYY" = Foreign Country
- Must have been valid code in accordance with the Zip/County Code Edit Validation Table in Appendix F.
- Must have been valid for the Patient County Code
(Data Element 26)
assigned to the Patient principal residence.
- If Patient Postal Service Zip Code was "10000"-"14999" or "06390", Patient State (Data Element 27) must have equaled "NY", and Patient County Code (Data Element 26) must have equaled "01"-"62" or "99".